Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Army of Two: Fortieth Day (The WHOLE Game)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Army of Two: Fortieth Day (The WHOLE Game)

Post by Dracobelle13 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I purchased Army of Two, the original, a few months after receiving my Xbox 360 for my birthday. I played through the entire game alongside my older sister, Kate, and thoroughly enjoyed the game. So, I was obviously excited for when the sequel, Army of Two: Fortieth Day, came out. I purchased the game, expecting to be blown away.....and was severely disappointed.

Point #1: The Graphics
While the background graphics may have slightly improved from Army of Two (I'm not 100% sure), the graphics used to show the characters in the story line decreased exponentially. In the original, the graphics used to make the characters gave them a flesh like tone and fluid like motions that made them seem like they were real life and that this could have really happened. However, in the sequel, everything was so pixelated and the motions so robot-like, it looked like I was playing an old Sims game, not Army of Two.

Point #2: The Plot
Once again, you play as either Elliot Salem or Tyson Rios. You are sent on a job in Shanghai as part of "TWO", something from the end of the first game. Needless to say, bad stuff goes down and everything starts falling apart. An evil terrorist group is behind this and you have to stop them and blah blah blah. This plot is so cliché and boring, I frankly didn't care for the cutscenes and only enjoyed playing. If I wanted something like that, I would just play multiplayer. Though the first one had some clichés, they had enough interesting characters and slight twists that the plot line seemed somewhat fresh instead of just a run of the mill conspiracy shooter. The sequel just failed. Hard.

Point #3: Hostages
In the game, there are hostage moments, where you and your partner have to go save hostages. It might seem like a fun challenge, but trust me: it isn't. There are some moments where it seemed practically impossible for you to save ALL of them. And to those who have, congratulations. You are probably the master of strategy or something, because my sister and I would have to try over and over again to get the result we wanted. At one point, I just gave up and kept moving, much to the unhappiness of my sister.

Point #4: The "Moral" System
The game put in a "moral" system, where either you did the good thing and don't receive the reward, or you did the wrong thing and received money or weapons. We did the good things all the time, but they have cutscenes to show what happened due to your generosity. Mostly, they showed that in the end, your actions only helped the bad guys further or let something tragic happen. The only one that I liked (spoiler alert) is when we saved a tiger. It ended up eating a random thief, which I thought was rather hilarious.

Point #5: Customization
In the sequel, you can still customize your weapons. You can even change the colors of your weapons to different stuff besides the "pimp" option seen in the first one. However, this comes with a consequence: you cannot customize weapons outside of the game like in the first one. You have to customize in the game at certain checkpoints and if you die before reaching the next checkpoint, you have to start over...again. I found this incredibly frustrating. You can also upload your own masks for Rios and Salem, but I didn't really bother with that.

Point #6: New bad guys
This is probably something I can speak well of. In the first game, there were heavies that you had to distract and then shoot in the back. Although they didn't change much on this, there was some variation. There was a guy with a flamethrower that you had to shoot in the tanks on his back. There was also a guy with a grenade launcher, who you had to shoot in the pouches on his side. They had another guy with something similar to that, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyways, it presented a new sort of challenge to the story that I really enjoyed.

Now, all of this critique is done without touching the multiplayer. However, I believe a game should be bought more for the campaign, not the multiplayer. However, that decision is yours to make, not mine. I merely suggest to those who want to enjoy a good storyline, fun action, and the sound of bullets punching holes into your enemies, steer clear of Army of Two: Fortieth Day and get Army of Two, the awesome original.
Dracobelle13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top