Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your top RPG's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your top RPG's

Post by RYCloud92 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 pm

No need to hide it (especially on this site) we love RPG's. Whether it's the space epic that is Mass Effect or the amazing world of Final Fantasy there is something about the character developing, monster killing, level grinding games we adore.

So name the best of the best for yourself. Which games of this genre do you adore the most. Post them here with reasons and pics if you like.

You can have any type of RPG (be it action, strat or turn based) with more then 1 from a series (let me take a guess at which games will crop up the most here XD...)

For me, it goes like this (note I will update this later)

Number 10) Kingdom Hearts 2

Number 9) Pokemon Red

Number 8 ) Final Fantasy VI

Number 7) Dead Island

Give me zombies and I will hunt for days, give me a vast area to explore I will play for months. Make the zombies extermely tough mother f*ckers and the gameplay addictive and you my friend have me sold.

Number 6) Final Fantasy VIII

The characters sell it for me, although the Junction system is easy to rape if you can crack it. On the list for being the 3rd RPG I played and for the Squall and Rinoa relationship

Number 5) Final Fantasy X
Is the battle system good, meh it's not worth bragging about...are the graphics great, well for the time...
Is the story and world amazing, damm straight. That's right I'm putting X here mostly because of it's characters and plot. The whole tragic love story of Tidus and Yuna, the spiral of death for Spira and the moral conflicts each of the characters have is what makes this game so breathtaking. Then Square had to ruin it by pulling a "Shadow The Hedgehog" and making a sequel which detracts most emotion from the original's ending (not saying I wanted Tidus to die, but bringing back a dead character who was killed off well for fan demand is just stupid (hence the term, pulling a Shadow the Hedgehog))

Number 4) Fallout New Vegas
In a post apocalyptic world you begin as a courier who, thanks to a specific delivery assignment will be deciding the entire fate of the Mojave wasteland. Not cool enough you say, did I mention that the world (although the future) has a 50's theme...still not cool. Ok how about that fact you are free to explore a mass expanse of land and are able to do whatever you want. Still not got you hooked, how about the fact you have to decide between helping a group of democrat's, roman's or the luckiest man in the world with his army of robot's to seal the fate of the land...not buying huh, ok how's this. How about the fact you can be the biggest douche in the world, kill off anyone character who annoyed you and then decide to take over the entire world yourself giving a respected middle finger to the previous mentioned 3 groups by either killing or scaring their leaders away. And with that all said and done there is always gambling and playing some cards.

Number 3) Final Fantasy VII
Yeah you all saw this coming a mile off, but VII introduced me to the world of RPG's and I still remember myself as a kid thinking about how good the plot and the gameplay is. Annoying that the compilation had to the ruin the story and turn one of my favourite characters into the world's biggest b*tch but that's the way it is I'm afraid. Materia system is still my favourite for being simple but effective.

Number 2) Mass Effect 2
This game is one that just blew my mind. Honestly this game is like perfection in disc form. Ok maybe that's too much hype for a game thats 2nd on my list here but it really is brilliant, the characters are all memorable the plot is simple but effective (ancient alien race that no one else believes in want to abduct small groups of humanity, you must assemble a team to stop them) and the gameplay is addictive.

Number 1.) FALLOUT 3 Game Of The Year Edition
I feel this game was just made for me, every aspect about it I adore. Referring back to New Vegas the setting and concept of the world is brilliant. However even though some would argue that New Vegas is better for it's harder difficulty, better relationship system and the setting is nicer I have to defend 3 and argue that the main plot is greater, there is a better of sense freedom and character creation and I actually, for once in a game, like the grimness of the Capital Wasteland. Also Liam Neeson is you're Dad, nothing can get over how awesome that is. Made it the game of the year edition because it's practically the game but bigger and better (with all the DLC built in for PS3 owners, and free for 360 owners).

Last edited by RYCloud92 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

RYCloud92

View user profile http://sonicfanatics.forumsmotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: Your top RPG's

Post by Archangel on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Ok this is long...
1. Mass Effect Series (package deal)

2. Final Fantasy 7

3. Dragon Age: Origins

4. Final Fantasy 9

5. Chrono Cross

6. Lost Odyssey

7. Dragon Age 2

8. Final Fantay 13

9. Final Fantasy 12

10. Final Fantasy 6

Honorable Mentions:
Fable III--not sure if I classify as RPG
Deus Ex--same thing as Fable III
Nier--just missed the top 10
.......oh and I forgot Chrono Trigger, that should be number 7, I'm just too lazy to change it now

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Here are my top 10 RPGs

10. Paper Mario: The thousand year door

9. Blue Dragon

8. Magna Carta 2

7. Dragon Quest 8

6. Valkyria Chronicles

5. Mass Effect series

4. Kingdom Hearts 2

3. Final Fantasy 12

2. Lost Odyssey

1. Final Fantasy 8

Darkness Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:43 pm

10. Dragon Quest VIII

9. Golden Sun: The Lost Age

8. Chrono Trigger

7. Persona 4

6. Dragon Quest V

5. Final Fantasy VII

4. Final Fantasy VI

3. Persona 3

2. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

1. Final Fantasy IX

Thanks to Nemo for the Junpei Sig and Smiles for the Avatar and Kanji sig

The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:34 am

lots of good lists on here

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm

^ Come on be honest mine is the weirdest of them all! lol! Razz

Darkness Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm

idk if it's weird or not, but there is a lot of JRPG's on there lol, some I haven't played

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Darkness Phoenix wrote:^ Come on be honest mine is the weirdest of them all! lol! Razz

Yeah no. I don't see anything weird with any of our lists. In fact, Squeenix or anyone involved with the company has taken up at least half our lists.

The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 am

Can't have a List of RPG without mine. So let me join this thread.

10. Xenogears

Gundam meets JRPG. Xenosaga doesn't compare. This was one of my Rpgs that Kept me from studying for Final Exams and mid terms.

9. The Record of Agarest War Series

Between the fine line of perversion and Romance; Redundancy and somewhat creative, here we are with the Agarest War series. A tactical RPG that suits the needs for some Otaku hardcore unlike me. lol.

8. Final Fantasy Tactics

The Final Fantasy Tactical Rpg that introduced me to this genre. Story remains to be one of the blood felt for me to this day. Taking the roots of the job system and putting it back in a different shade of light. Paved the world for FFXII.

7. Chrono Trigger

Crono and crew. Time Travel to the End of the World. Music that still holds sentiments to me to this day. Chrono trigger, although your day of debut was some odd decade and a few years ago, you remain timeless for many hardcore jrpg players {new and old} to this day.

6. Demon's Souls

"Soul of the Mind, Key to Life's Ether. Soul of the Lost withdrawn from it's vessel... Let Strength be grant so the World May be Mended...."

Demon's Souls > Dark Souls.

Although this RPG isn't know for its story {or to a few 'lack of'}, its unrelenting and unforgiving knack to keep players dead for many hours still holds true to the old generation of gaming where dying puts you back to the beginning of the stage with all your hard work lost! Yup yup!

5. The Disgaea Series

Disgaea 1

Disgaea 2

Disgaea 4

The tactical RPG with plenty of humor, hours and hours galore of fun and customizing with a heartfelt but still spunky story to keep one interested. Disgaea, my friend, you have taken HOURS of my gaming life. And Disgaea 4 takes the cake for being the best.

4. The Elder Scrolls Series

The massive open world that Elder Scrolls series provide are epic. Although Skyrim has yet to be released {less than a month away baby!}, Oblivion got me closing the the jaws of hell left and right for more than 600+ hours. Story is meh, but everything else is 'boo ya'.

3. Final Fantasy VI

The first Final Fantasy that I played when I decided to backtrack after FFVII. Remains to be one of the best in my opinion. In my FF roster, it's #2. Terra, I'd marry you if your nipples weren't so pointy when you turned into Esper mode.

2. Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2

"Listen to My Story..."

"Erel is my Final Fantasy!"

Um is there any other Final Fantasy that deserves as much or more credit? *Cloud and Lightning can sit down* But anyone else? Didn't think so. I Fucking love FFX and lust FFX-2, despite FFX-2's music totally taking a complete U-turn, FFX's melody remains nostalgic as it is gorgeous, the battle system that allows you to switch in mid battle, the pacific island feel and the glory of dreaming about love and lust.... IF they HD remix both in a package, you bet I'd be one of the ones that would have the spiffy new beefed up graphics in my collection.

1. The Mass Effect Series.

It took some thought into putting Mass Effect as my number one on my RPG list, but I have to say, as much of an old school gamer I am, I am also a realist. While some of the 'soul' of video games these days are lost and tarnished when gaming became mainstream {yes I remember when gaming was underground and for the 'geeks' and 'nerds'}, there are some that stand out and highlight the capabilities of today's gaming console. Mass Effect for sure is part of that spotlight. With fast paced action, a real 'role play' feel when playing the story with its interacting choices that shapes one's character and somewhat plays into the story, then the roster of colorful and very different characters [TALI!!!] I have no regret in saying that if the future of RPG is Mass Effect, then I think we'll be in good hands.

My Confessions.

Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:35 pm

very solid list Erel, good job, btw your comment about Terra's nipples had me cracking up

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Zack'sCloud wrote:idk if it's weird or not, but there is a lot of JRPG's on there lol

Tell me about it! lol!! I just have a hard time getting into WRPG's...as a matter of fact I didn't know if I was gonna like Mass Effect enough to even finish it.

Darkness Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm

you're killin me TGD, it's the best game this generation, what is it about WRPGs that you don't like? bc Dragon Age is another great one that you haven't played

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 pm

^ I'm sorry for the long delayed reply on my part but...I still don't know why I just have a hard time getting into WRPGs. I got Fable around the time the lost chapters edition was coming out and as you know I finally finished it last year. The game took me around 21 hours to complete which ins't that long for an RPG... maybe now l'll be able to enjoy Fable 2 more and finish it sooner plus there's all the DLC the game got.

Darkness Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Mass Effect 2 is on the list now replacing FF7

The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content