Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Opinions and A**holes Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinions and A**holes Thread

Post by Archangel on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:30 am

Because Erel wanted this thread here, so we can argue and bitch about the games we love and hate and tell each other we are a bunch of asshats
--I'll start where I left off, sony fanboys hate the halo series, and MAG sucks

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions and A**holes Thread

Post by The Cap'n on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 am

It's all fucking opinion. Some people like Halo, others don't. I could never get into the first game. I'm a gamer, I don't give a fuck about the system. I find some games superior on different systems. Portal is great for PC, as is Half Life and Team Fortress 2. Mass Effect was born for Xbox. But Halo is meh. I could never get into it and I never will. I'm that way with pretty much all FPS'. Resistance is the only FPS I can enjoy and even that game I have issues with. MAG is fucking stupid, Battlefield sucks and don't even get me started on Call of Duty.

Thanks to Nemo for the Junpei Sig and Smiles for the Avatar and Kanji sig
The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonknight on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:53 pm

i'm not a sony fanboy...by far..I prefer PC over every gaming system, most superior in graphics, and processing. And any PC gamer will kick any console gamer in a FPS. PC is more ergo, and easier to aim via mouse than joystick. And Halo is a pos, CoD is overrated, battlefield to damn open needs more players to fill in the map.

Anyways PC>all ^^

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm

@ Cap *Pokes* Call of Duty!!!lol!!

The funny thing about it is that you'll find so much hate for the series on the internet but when it comes to reality people still buy them like crazy.

Last edited by Darkness Phoenix on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkness Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:40 pm

^There are hating on the web for every godamn popular series out there. We even have haters who have never touched the game they hate on, but just hate on it and the genre because it's popular, or it's what their friends tell them. Douches. It's all I can say. Anyways....

I don't care much for Halo. I don't dislike it cause I don't play it, so I can't hate on something I don't know anything about. I happen to like Call of Duty, at least World at War and the first Modern Warfare. I was okay with MWII. I am one of those few that actually enjoy the campaign because history and the wars that goes along with them was my favorite subject; and the fictions too. I like delving into what ifs into our very fragile and volatile political world (which a lot of people don't bother about it until it affects them directly; ignorant people walk the world thinking that politics don't poke at their daily lives when in truth, it has so much hold on what we do) and playing MWII's campaign and the what ifs of seeing a real war at our own suburbia is a trip. I like games that offer those kind of things.

But I digressed. As for a game and multi player, First Persons have had the same affect on me; it's a flavor of the week, then I stop playing them. I was never good at them; nor bothered to be good at them. They're fun, but they don't keep my attention. Call of Duties' were the only First Person Shooters that actually held my attention for months before I said fuck it. The one thing I hate about mainstream First Person games (mostly on Call of Duty now) is that they are so godamn popular and they attract SO MANY non gamers who think they are core gamers, but in the end they are just supporting the same godamn recycled game every fucking year and it makes me sick that the same game can be called 'Game Of The Year'. Every fucking year. Why? It's the same shit with maybe 2 to 3 new weapons and perks?! *Ahem*. But.... whatever floats the godamn boat.

MAG, never really looked at it. I say why bother. It's anther First Person that'll probably bore me.

@Amarant: On the subject of Zero: I was more speaking of his fighting style and game play. The flavor of the character never really did sink in to me. Hell I don't think there was that much 'rich' story to dig into until around Rockman 8 with the PS. Same shit, destroy eight robots, kill, take their powers, boo ya. When Rockman X came out, same shit. X4 gave us the chance to use Zero, and I was happy with the idea that I didn't have to charge my godamn weapon to take 2 teeny bars off an opponent. Being close, hacking and slashing was damn easier for me than charge and gun.

Besides, I don't remember X4's story too well, nor the cut scenes, and I didn't play pass X4 (who the fuck is the Zero and X combo with a gun?), so character wise, like I said, they didn't really matter. All I remember was outside the North America animated series, Rockman Always sounded like a lil bitch. Screamed, yelled, and talked like a little girl when he was called 'mega/rockman'. Not very godamn manly at all. I don't remember Zero's voice, but playing Marvel VS Capcom 3, he didn't sound like a bitch. And shit, when they put Rockman on Marvel Vs Capcom, he still sounded like a bitch. Him and Roll had the same voice!!! What the fuck?!

At any rate, opinions are opinions, but while I do agree that getting to Sigma was harder as Zero because he was just spamming fire power, once I got in, he was toasted. I had a hard time playing as Rockman. I couldn't and didn't beat Sigma in X4 as Rockman.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Y'all know what I'm going to say, that JRPGs are far more engaging than any other game. However, I am willing to admit that it is ENTIRELY my opinion.

My only real issue with WRPGs is that the ones that I have played almost always had a plot related to the actual world and don't usually create their own without delving into a culture's history or a history that's already been written. Like with Elder Scrolls, or at least Skyrim, it feels that I'm playing a lubed up version of Baldur's Gate, or I'm playing Dungeons & Dragons with a controller. A lot of the JRPGs are usually very unique with their creativity, with admittedly a few real world items here and there. The other problem that I have with it is just visual preference. I admit that graphics, to a point, actually matter to me, but mostly just on how they're used to create the world around the characters. If a game is played in a world that is original in design and concept, then I'm excited to roam around and explore something I've never seen before. Skyrim had the perk of being around the medeival times and there wasn't anything mechanic to be seen, because I've been around modern technology all my life, so there isn't anything to learn about it, imo.

Although, some JRPGs are pretty heavily based on modern, or somewhat modern technologies and landscapes. Final Fantasy did this, along with one of my favorite games, Ys with usually the war or conflict of some sort between the modern world and the ancient world. Ys is heavily based on the actual world, hell, it has a continent named Europa and its capital, Romn. But both of these games' stories always delve into an ancient society of some sort and its technology or creations usually surface and threaten the modern world. And the designs of the ancient civilizations are always creative and breathtaking to behold no matter the quality of the graphics, but instead the concept of how these civilizations lived and thrived until their eventual downfall.

I believe that's the reason why I never got into FPSs, is because any game with a gun will either be post-apocalyptic, or dealing with a time period after around the 1700s. That's not to say that I don't play FPSs, but I don't think of them nearly as high as I do JRPGs. My main focuses are usually story and the overall concept design, and FPSs don't give you enough time to slow down, look around and appreciate the landscape the game is taking place. RPGs give you the choice to move ahead, or to explore, depending on the RPG, of course. While FPSs are usually high-tense situations with a lot of forced movement in a certain direction, so you don't have much luxury to take a breather and take in the effort that was put into designing the game. But, again, that's based on the games that I've played, as there might be an FPS that allows you to run around or just stare at the sky if you want.

In terms of just sheer gameplay, I still don't appreciate FPSs as much as RPGs. Because RPGs give you the choice to put effort into making the game easy for a first playthrough with equipment setups and a level-up system. I have NEVER enjoyed playing a game that forces you to comply with their rules and have the gameplay be as absurdly difficult as possible every time you play through it. I like my first experience of a game to be a sampler, for multiple reasons. First, I have to know if the story is worth hearing or not. Second, I have to know if the game is even playable to me at all. Third, I want to GET USED TO THE FUCKING GAME without being thrown into a frying pan right after starting. And lastly, I want the chance to have a more difficult playthrough the next time I play the game. I always enjoyed Kingdom Hearts because it gave me the chance to get used to the game on a reasonable difficulty the first time through. It allowed me to have the choice to make it more engaging and thrilling once I have the ability to do so, instead of games like Castlevania which gives you no fucking option whatsoever.

Kingdom Hearts gave me the chance to build up my personal skill with the game to do a No Damage Proud Mode playthrough by letting me play the game without the battle being over before I had the chance to experiment. I believe that you get your money's worth out of a game to say that you played through it more than once, instead of just saying that you beat it eventually. Because once you beat a game that forced you to restart on each boss 50 times before you beat it will make you sick of the game and you won't even WANT to play through it one more time. Sometimes, the game can be fun enough that you may just be that insane to start another game just because you enjoyed playing and dying over and over, but the chances are slim.

Anyway, that's all my opinion in a nutshell. Have fun.

Many thanks to Just_Smile for this AWESOME Serah sig. Very Happy

Claire

View user profile http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Okay--FPS games. A lot of them are mediocre, most nowadays have a 10 hr campaign, and then mp. I enjoyed the story of the Halo series, although ODST and Reach were disappointing imo, as for war based shooters (Battlefield and Call of Duty) I don't care for them, they are the same thing every year, and they have a huge fan base of 12 yr old boys who play one game a year and think they are hardcore like Erel said, yet they don't even know what an RPG is. These games grow old for me, and a lot can be said about Halo as well, I think the difference in Halo for me is that it has a sci-fi setting, something different.

X vs Zero: Zero is the bomb, X sounds like a bitch, fights like a bitch, and probably is a bitch. I thought Zero was easy to play with, but maybe that is just bc I played with him a lot, I loved his abilities, and I smashed Sigma with him, his double jump ability kicks ass.

JRPGs: I like JRPGs and WRPGs both. That being said, I get tired of some of the cliches in JRPGs. Purple and pink hair, annoying characters, bad VAs, and a lot of the time, a weird story. JRPGs should show some maturity imo, Lost Odyssey was a great JRPG to me. I could never get into Kingdom Hearts, just bc it looked like a game made for 6 yr olds. I'm 23, and I'm not really into disney characters anymore.

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 am

My preference has to be fighting games.
there are plenty of good ones out there, and to be honest, a few suffer from sequelitis, but others are very inventive.

I suppose my only gripes about my favorite genre are:
The scale of Balance vs Imbalance
A game needn't be perfectly balanced, and disadvantage match ups can be a real hoot at times, but when things get overboard, you'll have an entire meta-game dominated by people who pick the same characters.

The scale of Brokenness vs Gimpedness
To be fair I tend to prefer my games more broken than not, and I'm okay with getting combo'ed hard for a mistake, but full health combos and infinite stun-lock techs can be annoying when abused. I thought I'd hate SSF4 at first because it felt gimped to me, until I L2P and got MUCH better.

Finally, Story
It can be kind of daunting to write a deep, moving story for a world that has more fights than plot, and to be honest Fighters are not the greatest outlet for story. It doesn't mean all fighters have bad stories (Blazblue if you can push past the initial confusion) but too many started with "Evil mega corp hosts tournament for world's fighters, winner takes company" repeat ad nauseum and never broke from that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Okay, skipping the Megaman one for now, I'll bitch about that later. I'm going into what Nemo brought up and how JRPG's now bother the fuck out of me.

Okay, so Mass Effect and Bioware have changed RPG's for me FOREVER. What I like about Western RPG's is that the all together writing is really well done. These games have been keeping track of their back and side stories and have a really well written story that will keep you drawn in for the ENTIRE GAME. JRPG's are just trash to me know for the most part. I have been honestly trying to get back into JRPG's and I've hated nearly all of the ones I've tried. Shin Megami Tensai is something I can appreciate because it goes WAY out of bounds of regular JRPG shit. The YS games are horrible, just so unfun to play with literally nothing I can enjoy. I gave Lunar a shot then sold it a week after buying it because it was so awful. Super paper-thin characters, a horrible story and a really weak battle system. I appreciated Kingdom Hearts for being different. It didn't try to be DBZ, it was a fun and light hearted kids game than Disney and Square fans could pick up and enjoy. It wasn't supposed to have this very deep story line, it was to have fun. But the horrible sequels have not only completely contradicted the original story line but have fucked up any new games in the future. Not to mention every KH release since KH2 has been a prequel.

Shin Megami Tensai has been different, thank christ, because they try to avoid a lot of stereotypes but have indeed fallen into them multiple times. Persona 3 and 4 are great examples and although I liked both games, they have some really dumb and goofy shit. Persona 3, the psudo-suicide is weird. Like goofy weird. Not to mention the creation of the Evokers is something never adressed in the original game until the horrible "The Answer" storyline added and the reason the evoker looks like a gun is because it's cooler. JRPG's lack any decent story writing half of the time. They write in shit for a game such as a story element or concept yet they drop it. The latest Golden Sun, Dark Dawn, is a great example. The main plot is that these black holes of energy keep popping up in the game and tear apart the area. The first half of the game adresses this. The second half? Nope. Dropped completely. And given it's explained that these things are EVERYWHERE lately, they do not reappear for the rest of the game until the secret ending for a fourth game that will never happen because the first 2 games were amazing and the third was trash.

Nemo, you say that western RPG's try to go for a realistic approach. Well, I'd like something believable as opposed to some douche with a winged sword and is the half son of God and David Bowe who has amnesia as a story. I mean, what the fuck? I love a good fantasy, I mean I've been playing FF for years. But there are sometimes that being too fantasy can get old. Not to mention it's hard to tell what JRPG is what now. The art styles are so similar in some cases it's like they blend together into one brightly colored mess of epilepsy. Western RPG's, I've been able to tell one from another. I can tell Mass Effect from Skyrim and Fallout because they're so wildly different from each other. They have invented worlds and characters that seem to fit the atmosphere. JRPG's have a great world with very odd character designs that don't fit in it. Persona 3 is a great example again because of Aigis, a fucking robot. I wouldn't mind a robot character. Example, Star Wars. Two of the main characters are robots. But the thing is they fit that world. Aigis is a robot that literally came to be a fucking robot. I mean, she is not needed in that plot. If you got rid of the bullshit "NYX IS IN THE MAIN CHARACTER" part, then the game still could have stayed exactly the same. Literally the same.

I'm just sick of JRPG's putting in the same bullshit in all their games because doing something new is not their forte. Sure, western RPG's can be just as bad but at least it isn't so damn noticeable as JRPG's now because western RPG's can create worlds and characters that fit the story and universe as opposed to a JRPG with kids who go to school suddenly have a robot come from nowhere from the future to prevent the main character from eating a chili dog because it will open a wormhole to a demon world ruled by mutant horsebear monsters.

Thanks to Nemo for the Junpei Sig and Smiles for the Avatar and Kanji sig
The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 am

lol, I agree wholeheartedly, I've been more of a WRPG fan myself ever since the first Mass Effect game hit shelves

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I've been a bigger JRPG fan for years {well maybe because a lot of WRPGs have been with CPU and I'm not a CPU gamer} but like most of you have jotted down, since Mass Effect, Fable, Elder Scrolls, and fallout have hit my radar, my RPG expectations have climbed up to a higher threshold. They just tell stories better, have way more engaging gameplay, and they have more creativity than Jrpg's these days.

I'll always have love for JRPG, but I am an adult. I love to play a feel of an adult game most of the time. Sure I'm playing FFXIII-2 right now {I'm fucking struggling with the horrible story telling and music}, but I can't play it for five hours straight on my day off like I can with Skyrim or Mass Effect because it just feels so childish and way too cliche every time. I think many of you mentioned about the whole pink and purple hair, the gigantic sword that turns into a motorcycle, that stuff is great, when I feel like I want to be a kid. And to shine more light on myself, I'm pass my teens. I'm not a kid, I want an adult oriented game. A LOT of jrpgs lack that. Sure there are days when I just feel like playing that feel and genre of a game, but not all the time.

I do still have many love for the Disgaea series since it s all about humor. It's not your usual turn based game either, it's tactical and the amount of things one can put in a character is almost endless. But this kind of JRPG can be considered a different genre all together that it may not count to what we are talking about. So, so much for that defense of Jrpgs on my end.

I can go on. I can keep picking on what makes Western Rpg the better of the two, but Amarant and Zack have stated it already and I don't want to be just like a JRPG and be cliche.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 am

well nemo hates WRPGs, so he needs to get on this thread and defend JRPGs so we have a debate lol. TGD is also a JRPG guy

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just_Smile on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:11 am

Erel wrote:

I'll always have love for JRPG, but I am an adult. I love to play a feel of an adult game most of the time. Sure I'm playing FFXIII-2 right now {I'm fucking struggling with the horrible story telling and music}, but I can't play it for five hours straight on my day off like I can with Skyrim or Mass Effect because it just feels so childish and way too cliche every time. I think many of you mentioned about the whole pink and purple hair, the gigantic sword that turns into a motorcycle, that stuff is great, when I feel like I want to be a kid. And to shine more light on myself, I'm pass my teens. I'm not a kid, I want an adult oriented game. A LOT of jrpgs lack that. Sure there are days when I just feel like playing that feel and genre of a game, but not all the time.

I think it's almost the same thing when you're fighting trolls with a lot of blood and gore or if you fight with pink haired girls along with silly Disney characters. Both are really childish, but in a different way. And that doesn't mean it can't be fun Wink
But I'm also not a real JRPG player (Final Fantasy and Okami are exeptions). Also, I do like KH for example; but only for the gameplay. I don't like the story and most of the characters as well. And most JRPG's are so Manga-ish D: I don't like that, maybe that's why I only play a few of them.

Original signature art : Grypwolf on DA and Tatchit on DA
Pixel by BronzeHalo on DA
Just_Smile

View user profile http://sillyhearts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 am

^I don't know about that Smiles. Some time ago Video games were considered for the few and for the kids. Now that it hit mainstream, it hit a certain maturity that is targeting a bigger audience now than before. I feel like Jrpg's are stuck in the past with how they portray things; I think they are still trying to target the audience they thought didn't grow up. While blood and gore and killing trolls are indeed fantasy and for some can be seen childish, it still a bigger maturity than having to listen to purple haired characters sing and act all squeemish. Let's put it this way I watch Disney with my nephews and nieces when I babysit them. I don't put on movies like History of Violence when they are around.

Just to add on to my rant, Wrpgs way of peeling the RPG genre from the linear path too players to the real feel of a 'role playing' game. The fact that one can {usually} make his/her character to the face s/he prefers, the massive options a player can make in the game that does make a huge difference on how the game progresses and character progression, and how major games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age allows a player's previous actions from the previous game have a huge factor on how the sequel plays out is just amazing.

No Jrpg has even come close to the options that Wrpgs have been giving players the past decade. Jrpg had remained in its former shadow and did not evolve with their growing fan base.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Just_Smile on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:33 am

Okay, you do have a point Wink

But even so, RPG's of any kind still remain childish and black-white to me (the good guys kill the bad guys and of course, they'll win )

The day they make games about problems in our modern society today, with realistic characters, I'd never call it childish again Wink

Original signature art : Grypwolf on DA and Tatchit on DA
Pixel by BronzeHalo on DA
Just_Smile

View user profile http://sillyhearts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:58 pm

I just think you guys have done too much maturing if you can't enjoy it. You fell out of love with them to say it simply, and until they become more like something they're not, you wont enjoy them. To be honest, most Japanese developers feel their vision so strongly they'd rather through their game against the craggy shores of pessimism in hopes that at least someone will like it.

I suppose you can call me a weeaboo, an otaku, immature, and or stuck in the past... and some of it may be true, but as long as Jrpgs mantain their (still) gigantic fanbase, nothing will change.

Maybe you guys should consider a different genre if you want something different.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm sure you don't mean it the way I took it, or at least I hope not, but maturing is actually essential when growing up. Again, correct me if I took it the wrong way but I just had to laugh at that. It seems like you were pointing out that it was a bad thing to see video games through more mature eyes.

Well we are simply stating our 'constructive criticism' not 'pessimism' towards Jrpg. I think the three of us that strongly stated our opinions about Western and Japanese have had many years of experience towards Jrpg, and now that another entity has entered the realm of Rpg, we simply are saying why one has become more suitable for us. We aren't trying to change Jrpg, in fact I'm sure I can speak for them that we know we aren't, but the reasons we gave are the valid reasons why we are starting to change boats so to speak. And I didn't fall out of love for Jrpg. If you caught the fact that I still play it {I'm still gaming with FFXIII-2 as my sig points out} and later on this month I'll be buying Hyperdimension Neptunia mk 2 {a JRPG to the death} and still enjoy it, just not as much as I LOVE games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, and so forth.

I could care less about the gigantic fan base it has. What matters in this argument is that they are losing what used to be 3 HARDCORE Jrpg gamers. I know our say doesn't have weight in the grand scheme of things, but please, do shut down the infatuation for Jrpg for a moment and see the reason why we think Western Rpg have dominated our gaming shelves. And some of us HAD considered a different genre. That's why we are in the Western Rpg argument. But we have the right to point out what made us leave our once burning passion for Japanese Rpg.

@Smiles: Realistic video games? It's been done. GTA has some aspect of Rpg. It deals with real life problems with drug trafficking, gangs, etc. etc. Heavy Rain may not be RPG, but that is pretty close to realism as it can get in gaming. You want to talk about a game that deals with real problems in our world? Try Call of Duty.

It may be black and white to you, and yes, it may be childish, but Video games is for the child at heart within adults right? Some games just learn to adapt with the aging gamers than others. That's my point. But 'realistic' video games are out there. How they will fare in the grand scheme of things... well, who is to say? I mean CoD outsold just about every godamn video game out there last year. Is it a good game? Shit I don't think so.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 am

@Zane--much of what Erel said, in no way have I given up on JRPGs, I am simply stating why I prefer WRPGs now, as opposed to in the past JRPGs were pretty much all that I played. I would simply like to see a bit more maturity in a JRPG or a Final Fantasy title. Does it have to be gory and full of sex? No, but it shouldn't make you feel weird like your too old to be playing the game either. Lets face it, almost every FF title has women in it showing tons of skin and there is always a love connection in each title. Why can't they just hump and get the tension out of the way already instead of acting like junior high puppy love the whole time? I wish Square made more M rated games like Nier. Although it was far from perfect, it was nice to see a JRPG finally have a bit of attitude and not give a shit about what it did.

Purple hair, and goofy outfits is just how the japanese roll, I get it, but one thing that I love about WRPGs is the decisions you get to make, you don't have to be good, you can be a jackass if you want, and there are a ton of backstories to each game regarding culture of the universe and other problems in it. With JRPGs it is collect these crystals, or go beat the winged hippo with horns and the world is saved. And sometimes the characters just join for the hell of it. At least in WRPGs 90 percent, if not all of the characters serve a purpose to the story of the game.

@Smiles--sure RPGs aren't realistic in setting, but that doesn't mean that they don't tackle real life issues. One such example is in the Dragon Age series. Their is a constant battle for the civil rights of the mages, and it makes you think deeply about whose side you are on, and it ties back into our own civil rights for women and minorities.

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 am

Zack'sCloud wrote:well nemo hates WRPGs, so he needs to get on this thread and defend JRPGs so we have a debate lol.

lol Well, you're half right. I don't give most WRPGs a chance simply cause they don't stirke my interest at first glance. Not to mention I don't own a PS3 for myself, so spending money on a game I might not even like and can only play a couple hours for a single weekend isn't my idea of a good investment. Thankfully, my uncle will be moving out of my dad's house so I'll get a much better chance of playing it during the day and not midnight to sun-up and get two hours of sleep. So, the only WRPG I can think of that I've played would be Skyrim.

The only issues I have so far with Skyrim is it's non-linear gameplay and the total lack of necessity for a level-up system (it seems like, my uncle completed the story at level 20). Linear gameplay is what I grew up with from the SNES days, so I'm used to just going in a straight line and then once the story is complete, I start running around and doing the fun stuff. That felt right to me, but a lot of people complain about it, and I can see why, but I think a game is more enjoyable when you have to work for the fun stuff instead of letting the reigns loose after one mission. And a story that can be completed by level 20 on the very first playthrough feels like a joke to me. What that says is there is no potential for challenge, and you can just run up to a dragon at level 10 and whip its ass.

The option for a difficult playthrough is one of the things I value in gameplay, and most JRPGs meet that standard. Even FFX has potential with what they call a No Sphere Grid run, which is totally possible, and believe it or not, it gets easier the further you get since the system is just so fucking perfect (sarcasm). Skyrim probably varies in difficulty based on your race and class, which means I should probably beat it with two classes before I state my opinion and I haven't even beat it with one yet.

Now, I don't know for sure if Bayonetta could count as a WRPG, since the only element it seems to have to an RPG is a shop, and power-ups. But that game was excellent would it not have been for the sexy sexualness of sex theme that was displayed in the opening scene. The gameplay is great, the story is vague, but definitely enjoyable, and the visuals are by far some of the most breathtaking I've seen on the PS3 or 360. Already this game blows my mind and I'm only halfway through the game. And if it counts as a WRPG, I'll definitely give others a try.

Zack'sCloud wrote:go beat the winged hippo with horns and the world is saved.
Have to be honest, that made me laugh my ass off. Although it makes me sad since that might actually be a boss at one point, since even Square is getting desperate to get some more fans.

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Honest to God truth, Skyrim isn't what defines a WRPG {and that's coming from a hardcore Skyrim fan}. It is a WRPG, and it is for sure one of he best it has to offer because it's just Massive and full of side stuff that a player can get lost into it {if it's your alley}. But in my opinion, the best definition of Western RPG is Mass Effect. Take the rich story of JRPG but less crazy and MUCH easier to understand, put it into the Western preference, and you get one of the best of RPG's. As much as I love FFX, the Mass Effect series took seat as number one in my top rpgs list.

But correct me if I'm wrong, Bayonneta is made by the person that made Devil May Cry possible. I just wiki'd it and it has a lot of japanese names behind it and it is published by Sega. I think if it is an rpg {considered Hack and Slash genre} it will fall on the Jrpg side, which is probably why you like it a lot, Nemo. lol. So no Western love there.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:11 pm

Erel wrote:erel's post

I don't think anyone takes anything I say the way I mean it, so don't worry Erel, I dig... (get ready, this is gonna be a big one)

Seeing the games with more mature eyes is what make you able to comment objectively on it, and that is essential to deciding what's good for you. From what you guys were saying however it was like your eyes were tired and unenthused. I realize you're still playing XIII-2 but your sig just shows what I think are trophies. I applaud you for the Neptunia comment, that one seems too surreal for me. What I meant by what I said was that you guys were down-talking them for being typical of JRPG, I think I miss where this is a bad thing necessarily, seeing as we have an obvious difference in what I call the willing suspension of disbelief. I like Jrpgs because I have to step outside my normal boundaries, flex my imagination, and accommodate someone else's perspective.

Please do not assume that I think Wrpgs are unimaginative, because the worlds and lore in those games are breathtaking, and I would like to presume that I stand on equal terms of objectivity (opinion base nonwithstanding).
What I feel I'm without in alot of Wrpgs is a reason to think harder about what I'm seeing because it seems all to real to me, whereas in a more Eastern perspective, everything is foreign to me.

I suppose I mis-stepped when I typed "fallen out of love with", because to be fair, if you didn't care you wouldn't feel such "burning passion" and I bet all three of you could spend hours going back through Chrono Trigger and Secret of mana because they're good games. I also admit that alot of Jrpgs recently are lackluster due to lack of focus. What burns me about this debate is that neither perspective is superior and neither is more right, but eachother opinion is that the opposite = insanity.

I was only trying to say that you're opinions seemed more pointed at the source, rather than the material itself, and I disagree strongly with that, But I probably misread what you meant to a degree as well. And the "I'll always have love for JRPG, but I am an adult." comment is what drove me to believe you were "too old" for jrpg.

@Zack, no offense taken, what I typed was a generalization of the three of you, when I meant maybe but one, so you have my apologies on that. And I agree that more maturity would be nice, but I'm starting to understand which "maturity" you meant. Hell, I want the next Zelda to be photo-realistic and have actual blood when stuff hits the fan. I like XIII-versus' approach, cuz if you go hacking away at random mooks, the red stuff is gonna flow quite freely.

And to be honest, I put off posting this because I wanted everyone's opinion to be a little more specific so I could better relay what I disagreed with. It seems that the only real difference in our opinions is whether or not JRPGS have staled or not.

and I was a little terrified of what le Cap'n was gonna say lololololol

BTW Bayonetta is most certifiably Japanese, the only thing that sets it aside was photo-realism. Believe it or not, but sex sells just as hard in Japan as it does here and perhaps moreso

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Bayonetta is definitely japanese, and imo more of an action game than RPG, just like Arkham City, Dead Space, Assassins Creed, etc.

As for Zane, (and correct me if I'm wrong) to me it just sounds like you enjoy the "fantasy" that JRPGs bring to the table, and that is fine, if that is what you like, then that is what you like in an RPG, and no doubt about it JRPGs are more whimsical in nature than most WRPGs. When I look at a great RPG however, I'm looking for a deep story with deep fleshed out characters that I feel like I'm growing a relationship with. Music, gameplay, are great as well, but the lore and universe of an RPG are also important to me.

It is in these categories that I believe WRPGs have done a better job recently. It isn't so much about how believable the game is (because all RPGs are fantasy) but how much does the universe draw you in and make you feel like you are a part of it, and involved with it's inner workings, thus making the game believable in your mind. (If that makes sense)

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 am

You're right about Bayonetta, I actually remembered seeing Japanese names in the opening scenes, so that conversation went nowhere. lol

I tell you what, Erel. Since you guys have indeed been playing JRPGs for a long time, I'll check out some titles and give you my opinions on them. I'll start with the Mass Effect that Erel mentioned since he thinks highly of it, and he likes X like me, so we may have ourselves a game. :p

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 am

If you don't like Mass Effect, you're not human

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Salarian. lol. Okay. After Amarant posts his reply, I think we need to find another subject to let our assholes out.

@Nemo: You're big in voice acting, this game is rich. The story is epic; Mass Effect 2 is the better game between the two, but you can't go to two without One. The only thing I think you may not like is the gameplay; and it's kind of a big part of the game.

@Zane: Thanks for clarifying. I understand what you said better. If I take your typed words teh wrong route, it's probably because you are always discreet and only speak up once in a while.

My Confessions.
Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top