Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Opinions and A**holes Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Opinions and A**holes Thread

Post by Claire on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 am

He can catch up, cause I got another topic.

What is your guys' opinion of FPSs adding RPG elements? Dead Island and recent Call of Duty titles are the most notable. They put level-ups in the game which in my opinion don't have any place in an FPS. FPS games are supposed to deal with getting out of situations with however much crap you have with you at the time, and whatever the level-up systems do in these games places too many variables for the game to keep the 'trial and error' theme going. Although I find levelling up to be fun, I really don't think FPSs are the place for it. Their intention was probably to grab the attention of RPG fans, but it messes with a traditional gameplay style, and that's sloppy, imo.

Many thanks to Just_Smile for this AWESOME Serah sig. Very Happy

Claire

View user profile http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am

Borderlands fool, that one is the most RPG like.
I don't think its terribly interesting, but it is for someone i suppose.

Zack'sCloud wrote:post
Yeah, whimsy is great, but I see no trouble getting to know the characters in jrpgs as of late, but that's open for discussion. I believe the difference here is from the standpoint the devs use.

Western developers begin by creating a world, fleshing it out and then give it a rich culture and landscape, and finish with building the conflict to its climax as the characters unravel the chains of fate. They are normally superior at telling mythology backgrounds (plenty of examples)

Japanese devs are more inclined to start by creating the characters and their personal stories and later work them into the main plot and make a suitable world for their conflicts to be resolved in. They are normally superior in explaining conventions that are not present in the real world (Tales of the abyss is an excellent example)

The beginning standpoint, I believe is where these genre branch off so heavily. And let me state now if I didn't before or said otherwise beforehand, but Wrpgs look great! but none of them have really jumped out at me, and tragically I never saw much of M.E. until I read up on it.
I guess personally Jrpgs have always had more of a draw to them that I couldn't explain.

Zane the pure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Basically if you like Star Wars/Trek I think you would like Mass Effect. If you like Lord of the Rings, I think you would probably like Dragon Age.

As for FPS merged with RPG, I don't care as long as it works. Borderlands was a blast to play, but the story and characters were bland. I'll still buy Borderlands 2 tho

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:04 pm

@Zane: You have an opportunity to try Mass Effect with the third coming out. But again, one has to experience the whole trilogy so that might require you to play the first one on X360, which I am not sure you have in your pocket or what not.

@Nemo: I believe the level up systems prolongs the longevity of the game since First Person Shooters don't really have too much to offer aside from Multiplayer and the massaging of one's scrotums for having the most headshots.

Truthfully I found it as an incentive to keep playing and get better rankings when there is a level up system. I get a new slot to put my godamn perk when I reach lvl 15... or so on and so on. I speakfor a few friends who are big into First Person Shooters and they personally say that the level up system gives them the same drive as it does with me. But when you reach that highest rank and you go on for the prestige... well? From then I don't know. Truthfully I never got stuck on any First Person Shooters to even reach the high rank so I don't know what is that 'high' that one feels to go further.

My Confessions.

Erel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 am

Nemo wanted me to make a small note before he forgets.

I've heard alot of people here say that Jrpgs have shitty voice acting lately, and to be fair there are some names that could be named, but I don't think the poeple obtusely saying that are considering the kind of limits you have to work with. It's a different language and mistranslation happens too much, misinterperitation can skew the overall quality of the dub, and quite frankly some japanese just doesn't translate to english, and at that point the VA director must come up with what's most appropriate.

Another thing is, most video game VA roles have the actor come in to the studio, their lines are handed to them and the director tells them higher or lower/emotion and their done. Most VA don't really know the character they're doing and as such, it restrains the performance from being genuinely moving. Granted it's the same for Wrpgs often and there have been splendid roles, it would be callous to say other actors are just "bad" because of this.

Zane the pure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm not saying the VA's themselves are necessarily bad actors, but in JRPGs, the roles that have been done are bad....I maintain my stance on that, and I could give you multitudes of examples without playing 50 percent of the JRPGs out there

Archangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm

I think the main reason VAs can cock up a role is because they have to match the lip movement when voicing a pre-made game. WRPGs don't have that issue, since its made off of the actor's voice, therefore the design is matched to the voice tones perfectly. For JRPGs, the scenes are already made and the actor has to watch the clips, and maintain a role. Which, if you've never tried something like that, is tough as shit.

James Arnold Taylor admitted in an interview that Final Fantasy X was the first project he had done to have to watch the scenes while acting and it was difficult for him to perfect the role because of that. They also had him do over 9,000 lines of dialogue in only a couple of days, which wore him out.

Of course, it isn't fair to tack all the JRPGs voice acting into this one problem. Sometimes, the actor simply is not right for the role and whether or not they were perfect at matching lip movements, just plain sucked. Perfect example would be Robert Belgrade as Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. His inflections and acting were superb when compared to the others, however, his voice tone did nothing to match Alucard's personality or design. He was later replaced by Yuri Lowenthal, who most fans say perfected the role, but I believe it was an equal trade, voice tones for bland acting.

Many thanks to Just_Smile for this AWESOME Serah sig. Very Happy

Claire

View user profile http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

ooh ooh, did y'all hear? The Last Story is coming to america!
The lord be praised hahahaha

Zane the pure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm

I've read everything but I can't post my usual "WHO FUCKING CARES CAP'N AMARANT!?" post so I'll leave you with this!

Zane: Opinion is opinion. Share it. Even though you're FUCKING WRONG! No, actually I agree with a lot of what you said.

As for voiceovers for anything foreign, I want to leave a humungogiganto post but I trust Nemo and Zane know their shit and will share a lot of their experience and knowledge. Voicing anything japanese *used* to be hard, but given technology now we can fix those problems we used to have. If nobody has noticed lately, FF has started to redo facial animations so characters lips move in whatever shape of the language. FFXIII has made everyone's lips sync. Dissidia did the same thing, so there's no longer an excuse for VO's to have to speak to try to sync with lips. Not only that but a lot of JRPG's have NO FACIAL ANIMATION for characters aside from the lame animated cutscenes. Persona 3 and 4 are examples where there was no need to try to lip sync, they could speak at whatever speed they wished because there was no need to worry for that. I can excuse trying to lip sync in foreign work but I don't for just plain bad acting. Talk later, must work.

;O

Thanks to Nemo for the Junpei Sig and Smiles for the Avatar and Kanji sig

The Cap'n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I believe these videos are a brilliant retrospective on the divide between W and J-rpgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aiEsIW9IM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmkdoz5LjdE

Zane the pure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top