FFliminality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» "Closing Time"
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am by Tainted Dreamz

» What Game(s) Are you Playing?
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm by Nightmare

» The Epic Return Thread
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm by Nightmare

» Borderlands 2
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 pm by Archangel

» FFXIII Versus
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm by Archangel

» Bioshock series
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am by Archangel

» The journey- a short animation
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am by Just_Smile

» The Soundtrack(Both CT and CC)
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am by Archangel

» About Fucking Time
FFXIII Versus - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am by Claire

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

FFXIII Versus

+7
Zane the pure
Just_Smile
Leonknight
Tainted Dreamz
Archangel
Claire
Erel
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

FFXIII Versus - Page 4 Empty Re: FFXIII Versus

Post by Archangel Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I am a big xbox fan, and you all know this. But I can tell you one thing. IF they released ff13 vs as a ps4 exclusive...I would probably buy a ps4....that is as long as the game received good feedback
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 am

Shiz, with the rumors and all, It'd be nice if we could disassociate this game with FF13 a bit so it'll stand on it's own better.

Maybe tone down the Magi-babble like "l'cie, fal'cie, cie'th" or throw it out, and really stew the character's relationships into perfection. Ya'know, show the bond of Noctis and pals, square says he's a pretty nice guy despite the cold looks, don't be afraid to torment the poor guy's love life a tad, it is a mafia tale after all, and most of all, make it super coherent.

Too much of FF13's potential I infer was lost on a confusing setup, lame tunnely progression, and convoluted terms with sloppy explanations.

edit: I hadn't heard about it, but now that I did I see what it meant. In FF13 Versus, Nomura stated they would develop a thing called RTE (real time events) in which what would normally be a cutscene for visuals will still allow the player to move and act just as they would outside of one, but in the midst of stuff like a sweeping view of the area, things happening in the background, and certain fights are to have optional RTE's in which if the player triggers them, will alter the flow of battle. The example Nomura gave of RTE in a fight was if Noctis [while fighting the behemoth in the trailer] decides to board the walkway on the far side of the battlefield, it'll trigger the enemy pursuing him and both of them crash through it leading to new terrain and possibly some damage.

I remember in the trailer when the rich people party was going on, the character got to a certain point when the camera shows a helicopter slam into the building, while the player is still controlling the character. And he stated there are going to be a metric F-ton of these throughout the game. Also he stated that any cutscene that does not allow the player control during it will be a pre-rendered FMV instead, stating that he himself always skips "cutscenes" in RPGs anyways.

The characters so far are purported to be a helluva lot more nuanced than mainline FF characters, not adhering to any "token" personalities. Should be interesting.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am

^Confusing indeed. The vocabulary was a disheveled mess and the rather not so vibrant way the characters are played out in a rather insipid plot made FFXIII probably one of the worse to call 'final fantasy'.

Truthfully, I am over the FFXIII libido I used to have. Well, as soon as I delve into 'Lightning Returns' I will probably have my fill of the said title(Again, as much as I abhor FFXIII-2, I just need a conclusion). It's time to move on and refresh the franchise with the next step. I would discern that the main market now are erroneously thinking that anything with the term 'rpg' is associated with turn base and shy away from good games, but given that FF has been trying to 'level up', I think that is a good way to bring the franchise back into a good light. With the way fast paced that are fervently keeping the majority entertained, it would be behoove of Square to stick with that new gun and leave the old one behind.

Basically, a catharsis is needed. And I believe that they should make it multi-console for the heavy hitting ps4 and x720. The more exposure, the better! The fans of FF diverged and not all are specific in one console so everyone needs to be targeted!
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm

I personally still love good ole turn based games, no matter what anyone else says. The point of turn base not being skill intensive was to get the player to think critically instead of quickly. The critical thinking that went into well planned battles made for some of the best non-intensive moments in history.

Though I do somewhat detest ultra-long grind fests, done properly can be a good source of abnegation to unwind from a hectic day. And the mindset the critical thinking from the battles instills does wonders for a players inherent immersion with the story (if they are so inclined).

My input on turn based aside, I think it is a wise move for Square to de-emphasize the clunky menu based combat. I think the main complaint with modern J-rpgs that relied on ATB/Turn based gameplay was unintuitive menu micromanagement. Moving to a streamlined real-time battle system will do wonders for the atmosphere of what's said to be the darkest and most mature game in the series. The tension, the flair of good execution and the game being nearly seamlessly transitioned between changing areas, RTE's, FMV scenes, and battles, I'm super hyped for this game.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 am

In the grand scheme of things, it's what 'everyone says' that makes it count. FF will die if they stay on turn base system. A lot of FF fans feel that there is no longer the same essence in such gameplay. Everything is filled with colossal QTEs and spare of the moment response, with fast paced gameplay that demands players to be on their toes and not on their thumbs. To me personally, I get my fill of such 'critical' thinking when making sure I am prudent in equipment, healing paraphernalia, contributing points to proper and more prominent skills, ensuring adequate weaponry is at hand, etc. etc.

The monotonous tone of turn based I'm afraid no longer holds the exuberance for me like I did when I was 13 years old. I can still indulge for a good 15 hours, but anymore, I get totally bored. Not like before where I put FFVI-FFX about 60 plus hours each. (Tactical jrpg is a different story though) =P Not the franchise's fault the gameplay had become sparse in followers, but it would be behoove of them to keep up with the market. The ratio of turn base lovers are akin to the population of panda bears... endangered. My statement may not concur with that notion on this site, but I'm sure there are plenty of other resources to delve into that idea.

Putting gameplay aside, better writing needs to be at hand since the rather insipid and rather too premature script and for FFXIII's case, a bit too much of a disheveled mess leaves gamers who are aching for a story(myself included) cut short. And sometimes the ambiance of the story isn't as appealing as it can be because of the aesthetic discrepancy, or merely because it was written well but ended rather poorly... regardless of the reason, this avenue NEEDS a redemption as well. Gameplay may be the BIGGEST to be seen, but sadly, story won't affect the main stream as much as gameplay.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I may be in the minority here, but the combat system is really one of the lowest concerns to me. I don't mind the combat of any of the FF titles. I like the classic turn-based, the menu based, the gambit based, and the fast paced systems. I like some more than others, but the combat itself rarely ruins a game for me.

The problem I have with our modern FF titles is that they don't have the "charm" of previous titles. Whether it is a poor convoluted story, annoying characters, or the lack of an open map and chocobos to race and airships to fly, it is just lackluster imo. FF13-2 tried their best to recreate the Gold Saucer, and it was a decent attempt, since you could bet on chocobo races and whatnot, but it still wasn't the same as the original Gold Saucer. No silly dates with Red XIII, no Mog's house mini game to make me chuckle, etc.

As far as rumors go for Versus, I could really care less about "quick time events" developers really have a boner for these lately whether it be in the God of War series, for FF13-2. They aren't terrible, but at the same time, I don't think they are anything special. As for making "critical choices" like FF13-2, those were a joke, and should be done away with. It was a poor attempt to mimic BioWare games. For a developer to say that he skips cutscenes is kind of an insult to me...that is one of my favorite parts in RPGs. Games where storytelling and character portrayal are crucial, and I love to watch a good cutscene. I will never forget the scenes from FF7 and FF9...
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:32 am

Just as a manner of clarity, The supposed RTE's aren't press x not to die, they're just things that would normally be a cutscene with the ability to roam while they happen.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness Phoenix Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 pm

I think that I'm actually in the minority here cause I'm not gonna be that upset if we never get it..and it's not cause I'm tired of waiting I just never felt the hype around it like others have.
Darkness Phoenix
Darkness Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am

Now that is indeed a minority comment right there. To each's own indeed however we can't have games like FFXIII-2 roaming about with their boastful graphics carrying the name of the FF mantle. That would just be an asinine legacy to leave behind so we need something that COULD(cloud, hahahah! The distortion of letters adds a pun!) be the next FFVII. Or at least come close.

Side note, if this does well, FFVII fanatics, you will get your FFVII remake that will have cash cow graphics and scintillating nostalgia to boot!
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

....that is all I want Erel....that is all i want
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 pm

At this day and age, and with my mindset where it is now, I think FFVII remake would be more than awesome. But back to the argument of how FFVII's gameplay SHOULD be in modern day. I know where I stand and I'm sure I know where you are.

Though again, that is IF FFXV or FFXIII Versus whatever does well to even topple what FFVII did.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm

unfortunately in my mind FF7 will always be a huge obstacle to top, simply due to nostalgic value alone. But Mass Effect series has been able to pass it.
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't want Square doing remakes whatsoever unless it's a graphical boost like X and X-2 to HD. What I mean is, through their "Remakes," Square's had a tendency to ruin a lot of the charm the series once had.

If they did a fully revamped VII, they would go out of their way to get rid of the charm the game had through some of its translation issues and then try to shove in plotlines of the awful spinoffs so expect Loz and all them from the movie to appear, Vincent's Dad, Angeal and Genefaggot and the rest of the hodgepodge losers of the spinoffs. Then they'd purposely rewrite the game to fit all that in and ruin, what I find to be, Square's best written story in the series.

But onto XIII-Versus, why don't they just make it the next game in the series? I'm agreeing with you guys that they should just step away from XIII because it's completely lost all the hype it had when it first came out. I remember 4 years ago when it was surfacing and everyone was like "YEAH XIII" but then slowly after, it started to die out. Then XIII-2 came out, and no one wanted it. This game was thought to be so bad that after a few months of its release, they dropped the initial price significantly. Now that XIII-3 had been confirmed, no one cares.

Final Fantasy doesn't have the pull it used to. When the new spinoffs and rereleases are released, there isn't a whole lot of talk about them. Sometimes, yeah, I'll get excited. But I don't think a Final Fantasy game has gotten me pumped since X and that was about 12 years ago. Maybe Versus can do this, maybe it can bring in the lull the series once had. Or maybe it'll crash and burn and we can finally say the series is dead.

Also, whoopty-fucking-doo on moving in a cutscene. How innovative Square. What a great thing to add. Being able to slowly walk, in a small area, in an important scene that would make no sense if the determined character is running around like he has tourettes. Quicktime events aren't bad but it depends on the game. You can't just randomly put in scenes of quicktimes few and far between and you can't make them too often. It'd be cool to have them in boss fights and a few enemies, but it shouldn't be everything you do be a quicktime event.

Turnbased is pretty dead outside an RTS, but there are a few games that have made turned based more interesting. I use the Shin Megami Tensei series as an example because they made their turned based combat so involving because characters can be knocked down as loose a turn in combat. It adds strategy as opposed to FF where you can easily fully revive a party later in the game.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

^I'm going off the tangent that they do not proliferate the 'Need' to add plot holes and insignificant characters as Amarant had already pointed out(Loz, Super Saiya-jin Hojo, freaking Kadaj, Angeal, so forth). Keep the game as it is and just rejuvenate the classic into today's graphics and gameplay. I can't refute that Square is infamous at the idea of adding elements that are unnecessary, but "IF" a FFVII remake does come around, they should deter the idea of ruining FFVII's classic charm and keep it the way it was.

As for gameplay, QTE's are widely known for the God Of war Genre. Truth to be told, a plethora of games did it wrong(Resident Evil 6 and Asura are good examples) but there are so many that did it right as well(God Of War, DmC, The Arkham games). It can be done really well, but again, redundancy can ruin the flavor.

And I know we all have different FF's that we love and adore and some we abhor and care less about, but can we all adhere to the notion that the writing for FFXIII was terrible or WAY BELOW the bar of Final Fantasy?! And I'm not just talking about story wise, but the dialogue is lacking some serious intelligence! And it doesn't even have to deal with the VA's ability to convey emotion or 'SAY' the part right, it's what they are BEING forced to say! And yes, the story starting at FFXII(for me) and of course with FFXIII had started to lose some real 'charm' and some zest.

IF FFXV or Versus... or whatever else they want to call this damn game DOES fail fervently, then for me the game and the franchise is dead. I hope they refute the real title of the franchise for it being indeed the 'final fantasy' with this new game.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 pm

God Erel, I agree with you so much on XIII's writing. I think everyone remembers my rant of the game when I played it in full (or what I called full) and how the whole game looks and feels like I'm playing with Barbie Dolls. Everything is plastic. Metaphorically and physically. The story was a shitstorm of mythology that the game didn't want to explain to the player. It just said, "Oh, you don't know what the fuck we're saying in this cutscene? Better read the 5 lines of information we have in the codex! Also get used to reading it every 5 fucking seconds because if you don't pay attention, you're codex will be flooded with "Who-fucking-cares" information!

You know what I can honestly say about Final Fantasy? It has become the Call of Duty of RPG's. It just keeps making one new game after another with little to no effort put into it just to get the money they want. Example, all the VII spinoffs. The only one that received any sort of praise is Crisis Core and it's still a pretty bad game.

I think the biggest sting to the series is when Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu left the company. And yeah, Sakaguchi failed miserably with Spirits Within, but he is the father of the series! Without him, this site would probably be dedicated to Dragon Quest or something. And with Uematsu gone, none of the music has an impact on me anymore. That's pathetic. XII was composed by the original composer of FFTactics (which is the way it should be) but XII was still lacking any flair in the music. And XIII was a disaster. I can't hum one song out of XIII except the main battle theme because you have to listen to it every 5 minutes.

I think the series has been dead for a while and if it wasn't for Square's Western Division working on Tomb Raider and the Batman Arkham games, the company would be doomed for the most part. The Enix side has always released games far inbetween and they make so much money on the Dragon Quest series so whenever a Dragon Quest game is released, boom. Money.

Done ranting. For now.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

....you dont like Crisis Core....im sad Sad
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm