FFliminality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» "Closing Time"
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am by Tainted Dreamz

» What Game(s) Are you Playing?
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm by Nightmare

» The Epic Return Thread
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm by Nightmare

» Borderlands 2
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 pm by Archangel

» FFXIII Versus
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm by Archangel

» Bioshock series
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am by Archangel

» The journey- a short animation
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am by Just_Smile

» The Soundtrack(Both CT and CC)
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am by Archangel

» About Fucking Time
XIII.2 - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am by Claire

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

XIII.2

+9
Claire
Leonknight
The Cap'n
Darkness Phoenix
Just_Smile
Erel
Archangel
BLEH
RYCloud92
13 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

XIII.2 - Page 8 Empty Re: XIII.2

Post by Archangel Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:59 am

@Erel--can you post the link to your FF13-2 review, I can't seem to find it on your blog
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:20 am

FFXIII-2

Enjoy! sunny
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm

ahh, what a nice read
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Guess it didn't do it's job. 'nice' wasn't the word I was looking for. lol I was trying to convey how much I hate the whole aspect of the game. lol.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Gilgamesh is a DLC enemy to fight.

Do your Cap'n a favor... And fight like men. And women. And ladies who dress like men.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 pm

...and children who dress like skanks
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:20 am

@Nemo: I didn't want to sound redundant, but seeing as you have no qualms in giving your 2 cents, I shall not abstain. Truth to be told, the N7 armor was probably the most redeemable qualities about that game. It is the worst spinoff of all. While X-2 CAN be dated as the most abhorrent, I still firmly believe X-2 wasn't trying to be a serious spin off 80% of the time. It was feeding off fan perversion and giving fan service. XIII-2 seems to trying to BE THE NEXT BIG Final Fantasy... however it is a game that is a convoluted mess of a story;now the complication of the story doesn't revolve in the idea that it is complex, but in the way the story progresses and how it is feeding off an already not so great Final Fantasy Story which is FFXIII. The dialogue is by far the most lacking in intelligence and to further use the word 'paradox' fifteen times in a sentence seems a bit asinine. The writers for games like Lego Batman could have written far more whimsical dialogue than that game.

Then the 'choice events' debacle. It will have 'choices' to make sporadically throughout the game, trying a hand on WRPG's successful trends, however it does absolutely NOTHING for the game since there is only one ending, which I know you don't mind, but for those of us who want a bit more in depth feeling that we actually did something in the game... those choice making events are just to add pretty colors and to further perpetuate more ridiculous dialogue between the characters. The two protagonist... while Serah is eye candy... we have noel who is a testament of what jrpgs like to have, emo, skinny, the most impractical warrior to be put into display... when he wears the N7 armor, he still looks flamboyantly wrong, which makes even Serah far more adequate for the said armor.

Then let's not talk about the antagonists who perpetuates the maudlin "I want to be like Sephiroth" kind of guy with Square's trademark of 'hey, let's make the most incoherent weapon that is supposed to be a sword!" kind of idea.

We have the Mog who is probably the most detestable version of a mog in FF history who says kupo so .... repulsively.

Now gameplay, still good. They added QTE which is fine. The whole monster thing? I don't know about that.... rather have a third member. But I guess the different variation isn't to be shunned down on. But other than that and along with the N7 armor, gilgamesh, and the aesthetics of the game, XIII-2 is the biggest joke and a testament of what JRPGs (mainstream ones) are really going into. It's a beautiful game graphic wise but it leaves many veteran FF fans and gamers in shambles once it ended. I personally can't count how many brain cells I had to exonerate from myself because they were tainted with this game... The game to me was incredibly easy throughout the whole time, til I started to get into the mind set of just 'beat it!' and I stopped delving into side quests or grinding... the final stage of the game was far more difficult for me than I would've wanted; especially when I just wanted the game to end already.

What' worse? FFXIII-3 is around the corner and that I HAVE TO BUY to get the bitter taste of this game out of my mouth and my gaming life....

But you know me. I am rather sullen in regards to jrpgs these days. But Hey! I'm all for FFXIII-3 especially since they are putting Lightning back on the horse!

So to take a step back from that, I do hope your endeavors in this game can make me see a perspective that I didn't see before since perhaps I did put my 'Jrpg sucks lately' glasses on when I started the game. I was hoping it would eradicate that point of view I had, but it didn't and at the end of the game I was left with a sour taste in my mouth and with the further need to capsulize that there the quality in my used to be most loved genre is dwindling down to mere pretty graphics...
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Perhaps I should beat this game before I put my two cents in. I can only obtain the PS3 at night, since the tv it's plugged into is the "family tv" and is rarely open when everyone is awake, so I haven't gotten terribly far. About 8 hours of gameplay and 5 of those were devoted to grinding and getting a good feel of the new battle system elements. I have to say that my opinion about Mog combats yours, because I just have an affinity for moogles in general, but I can't help but like it, cause its cute as hell. Sure, it doesn't have a grenade launcher (or whatever Mog used in FFVI), but it's far from helpless.

As for Noel, he annoys me far less than more recent protagonists. From an immediate standpoint, I placed him ahead of Cloud and Squall before he even spoke, because I love his design, and Jason Marsden as his VO was very nostalgic for me. As for his personality, so far, I see nothing resembling the pussy emo trait that Cloud and Squall had, but maybe I have to wait a bit for that. I mean, Nomura just LOOOOOOOOOOVES the brooding hero quality, and seems to think the fans can't get enough of it, and I could never stand it from the beginning. Anyway, so far, the protagonists of XIII-2 are far more likable than Lightning already. The only thing I liked about her was her design, other than that, she can burn in hell for all I care.

As for the difficulty, I love this pace lots more than XIII, because enemies are now POSSIBLE to grind on and bosses are exciting and fast paced whether you grind or not. That's what pissed me off about XIII, because before every boss fight, no matter how close they were together always required hours of grinding to even stand a chance, and once you hit the level cap for that area, you had no choice but to test your luck in a boss fight that saw the Retry option so much it burned into my muscle memory. It's ridiculous to bust your ass powering up for a canon boss fight to increase your chances from "getting your ass totally kicked" to "getting your ass moderately kicked".

Anyway, I'll put the rest of this on hold until I get further into the story, because I have a good attitude about this game and I need to know if its going to take a hard right turn like XIII did.
Claire
Claire

http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 pm

In my honest opinion, the only problem I'm having with Jrpgs as of late is overcomplication of the story for complexity's sake. FF4,5,6 are perfect examples to this regard. The story needn't be so complicated to succeed, and FFXIII seems to suffer in this regard. The presentation from what I've played is pretty, yet not cohesive enough to convey its narrartive properly.
more after I play more I guess...
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 pm

@Nemo: Hey man, it's not about 'professional' with the way words are laid out because I am a testament that my words do not spell the most proper way of conveying a message. It's really about knowing that behind my less than jovial words are just humor and an obstinate train of thought when it comes to games I am enamored by. Razz And I on my fault is of course of being a bit oblivious of things Smile

And my words are not infallible.

As for your opinions eliciting a 'raise of eyebrow'; come on now! Part of me feels you were fishing for a debate! Razz Of course it would be me to take it; after all... lol.

And I suppose I should rephrase in regards to Noel... His personality is okay. At times rather dull and quite predictable, I am merely speaking of his design. You should remember that I am very much well into the visual representation. Which is why FFIX may have the all sorts to be a really good FF, but the character designs is a major turn off. So in regards to Noel.... he is a testament of the labels I have claimed him to be.

But at any rate, hate to be nonchalantly open about this, but I am trying to show to the rest of our team here that you and I can debate respectfully and in the end of this 'debate' that we are still friends or what not and you not liking Mass Effect and Lightning is forgivable and you aren't that big of an idiot.

LOL. That was a joke. Anyways! Pelase update me! And if you get the chance, do get Serah's bikinis! It's great in CGs. XD
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 am

Maybe this will set the mood, I LOL'd at your entire statement. XD

Glad you brought up the bikini thing, because I actually have a small complaint about it. This isn't my opposition to slutty design or anything, it's actually really cute, but I can't help but feel that Serah looks a little...anorexic to me in the beachwear. It might just be my tv, but with that little clothing, she looks malnourished and dangerously breakable. This might have been excusable in the original to help feed Serah's timid personality, but she's much less shy in XIII-2 and its honestly a little off putting to see that. I try my hardest not to judge someone on their body (though I do fail sometimes), but its hard for me to use the beachwear too often just for that. :/

I'm actually very partial to the White Mage and the one with Steel in the name, I don't remember, its the free one. I can't say why, but Serah looks undeniably cute in those two costumes for me. Maybe it's cause I can picture my girlfriend wearing those clothes, that's probably it. I have a fan-crush for Serah and my girlfriend is the influence...for some reason, I find that amusing.

I can see why Noel would seem like an emo stereotype, he has the long, straight bangs, the girly face, and a less than slender body build, but as you may have guessed already, I'm into the girly man design. I'm not saying a total badass design like Snow's doesn't pique my interest, but I'm not usually turned off by the "prepubescent teen girl-boy" look. However, I think Noel has a good blend of an adolescent developing into a man thing going on. He is still young and learning how to live life, as he admitted to Serah early on in the game. I have to admit, I like his DLC outfits better, and his original concept design may seem out of place, but I think that's the point. He's from 700 years in the future exploring an unfamiliar time period. Now that I bring that up, it does seem like he should look more mature and well-rounded because according to him, he's been fending for himself for a while and should appear that way, I guess. So, I like the design personally, but you are right about him needing to look tougher.
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:04 am

Okay, I know you hate Snow, but personality, design wise, he looked RIDICULOUS in XIII-2. IF you haven't seen him yet, I won't' be giving spoilers by telling you this but... his beanie should've been on. And the laced red v-neck? Okay... If I was Serah I'd divorce him in XIII-2.

As for Serah, hhhmm.... Maybe my perverted eyes just sees skin and didn't notice that.... Maybe I'm going to try that again... lol. I seriously want to pop in the game just to see. Her free DLC outfit is nice too; simple and somewhat charming. The small 'buckle' like shield is a bit odd. Question, did you hate Rikku's X-2 outfit? I know you didn't like Yuna's, but I would think Rikku's is far more sluttier than her cousin. But! Rikku is Rikku. xD

Noel is better than Vaan. And maybe it's not so much his stature, although that could be a big factor, I am more speaking about his clothing design. That and if one looks closely, he kind of looks like Squall.... which I don't detest the FFVIII protagonist as much as I do Vaan, but I'm not his biggest fan... His attire however has to go. That's why I think the AC apparel went with 'what' he is... he is a hunter and Ezio's attire is suppose to create the illusion that 'he is not there'. How that might go in the bleak world of 700 AD (might be wrong on this said date), well... my point suddenly disappeared.

A point I didn't bring across earlier were weapon designs. I... am ambivalent about it. This is a common thread in Jrpgs as well that sometimes I really like, and at most times I really scratch my head and ask why. I'll let you put the first hand if you have any to say about it...
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Haven't seen Snow yet, but I was referring to his original XIII design. The beanie and the trench coat made him look pretty damn awesome. Although, I've heard rumors that "he goes a little wacky with his chocobo cosplay" from my friends on another forum. I have to say that Snow is actually a character I love to hate. He has the hero quality I look for, someone who is so confident that he makes mistakes and has to pay for them when he realizes he's done wrong. His overconfidence annoyed me, but when Square turned it around on him, I found myself thinking differently. I'm not saying it was terribly clever writing, but I liked Snow a lot more when he realized he couldn't be the hero he said he could be.

Did I like Rikku's design in X-2? I think I should explain why I didn't like Yuna's design first. I didn't like X-2 as a whole because it changed everything, sometimes slightly and most times, radically. Yuna's outfit immediately told me that she wasn't the shy, but strong-willed person anymore, and seemed more like a gun-toting badass who would charge in without a second thought. Which I guess is a good thing, because Yuna had to have had a substantial growing period after the events of X, but seeing a character I grew up knowing change so significantly is hard to accept. Rikku stayed pretty much the same, and her outfit wasn't terribly shocking I have to say. Oddly enough, I consider it a step up from her outfit in X, but all the Al Bhed had strange attire. Most of the Al Bhed seemed like they bleonged in an episode of Trigun, which I don't mind in the slightest, its fitting to the desert, and looks like it would fit in an excellent anime. Anyway, I didn't think her outfit was really that bad, it was her hair style that made me blink. Seriously...what the hell, Nomura?

As for the weapons, again, I don't think I've experienced enough of that yet. I've only just obtained my second weapon set for Serah and Noel, and it made me think Square was just recycling the same weapons with just a different palette, but whatever. I'll get back to you on that one. :]
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 pm

I would say that just looking at Caius' weapon I can see what erel is getting at (I think).
The thing only erroneously looks like a sword and doesn't seem very practical for someone so straight forward and rigid. (although it looks kinda cool). But on what Erel said, It couldn't hurt to go with something the atleast partially resembles the type of weapon it supposedly is.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Truth to be told, that is what I speak of, Zane. Look, I'm all for the gun blade that Squall and even Lightning wielded. I was even able to somewhat discern that Wakka's ball would have some cathartic results, however in regards to XIII-2, Caius' blade that he wield is just plane abhorrent and lacking any real justification as to how.

Okay perhaps if they just give him some sort of long katana or blade that it will further spell how obstinate they are to keeping the infatuation for Sephiroth alive, so they came out with something 'original'. That is their result. ANd while yes, it's whimsical at some aspect, and it could possibly hold some sort of aesthetic for some, it is to me, just plain absurd.

@Nemo: In regards to hairstyle, I think Spira has something in the water (had had I made a pun in regards to Spira's ever so prominent need to be bathed in water... LOL I made another one in one sentence! *ahem*) since Spirans grow their harir really fast. To be honest, I am actually quite attracted to Rikku's disheveled hairstyle. It makes good for some sort of sensual insinuation... that and it would do wonders to pull and to trap in gripping. It fits her and her rather intrusive sense of wardrobe (i use that word loosely btw). But this is where I am adhering to personal taste.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 pm

So...um...I saw Snow. Um...wow. Excellent chocobo cosplay, but is that really the 'do he was hiding underneath the beanie? It's one of those hairstyles that as long as you don't look at the top of the head, they look human, but once you do, you have to find the nearest spork to gouge your eyes out. I didn't get a very good look, cause Snow's picture showed up on one of the Artefact pages, but that's one hell of a hairstyle, and not really in a good way. Nomura really likes anti-gravity, I've come to notice. It isn't ALL bad, but from the scalp up is just weird to look at.

And Caius' weapon honestly reminds me of Soul Edge from Soul Calibur 3, 4 and 5. Yeah, it looks unwieldy, yeah its pretty dumb looking, but no I'm not building up to a defending statement. Anything that reminds me of Soul Calibur is an immediate 0. Hate that game so much, but that's beside the point. Wait, no its not. Soul Calibur is dumb and so is Caius' weapon.
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:57 am

^Yeah. Snow... not so much. lol.

I was never a huge fan of Soul Calibur. Actually, I never really played it. I bought the last one before the recent one.... it was... okay. I didn't get into it. Customization is fun... but tha's about it.

and yes. Caius' infamous blade gets another scathe in its reputation. lol.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

I lost my taste for Soul Calibur quickly after IV was released, because instinctively I knew the series was gravitating away from what I loved about it. 2 was great, 3 was...okay, but IV was just shit.

Anyway, I'm finding the disappearence of the level cap has sort of a drawback, as I've let myself get carried away with grinding. I'm 24 hours of gameplay, just finished 01X AF, and I'm already level 41 in all six roles with both characters. I've also been perma Normal mode while I grind, so I have lots of monsters at their highest level possible at this stage, due to the high drop rate. I also haven't had any worry of low money since enemies drop more than a fair amount of gil. My money hasn't fallen below 40,000 in about 10 hours. I can see what you mean by XIII-2 being significantly easier than XIII, but I guess a LOT of people complained to them about the difficulty and now gamers think it's too easy. I don't have any complaint so far about it being too easy, but I haven't had a Game Over yet, never even hit Retry. However, I like a game mostly for the story, so this isn't really a big issue for me.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy challenge, but I certainly didn't enjoy XIII's standard of difficulty, seeing as it took me 80 hours BOTH TIMES to get to Pulse. I think 18,000 CP for a measly, yet somehow important 10 HP boost is ridiculous. And capping off levels to force challenge onto the player is a low blow. Challenge should be handled gradually and willingly, I feel. XIII-2 may dumbed down the difficulty a little too far, but I can still make a challenge run in the future, and as long as its up to me how my experience goes, I have no complaints. That's how I live my life as a gamer, and not IRL, because there's no difficulty setting for real life.

Anyway, I enjoy challenge, but not when it makes me question whether or not the game is worth beating, which I considered XIII is ultimately not worth the time and effort.
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:29 pm

nemo, you lost me once you said Mog was a viable character...
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm not arguing that one. I have my stand on Mog and I think arguing about him would be frivolous since the rest of the game is much more better content to throw 'barbs' with each other. Very Happy

I lost a lot in this game in the latter parts. I didn't grind, I didn't build up weapons, I didn't do anything right because at the end of it all I just wanted it done. It's an easy game if one just 'hones' his/her characters... again I lacked the patience and the 'want' to do it. I guess it's my 'FFXIII', Nemo.

That and the dialogue was the bane of me... hearing them talk and say paradox all the time is well... let's put it this way. Everyone hated Vanille's voice right? Even I did in a way. That is what the game sounded like to me... Vanille on overdrive.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am

I'm surprised none of y'all brought up the Mog Throwing minigame since you guys hate him so much. Seems like something that would redeem that kind of thing. But if we want to leave Mog behind and concentrate on other things, I won't pester. I would like to point out that I did not play VI, and I know the moogles played a big part in that one, but I feel that Mog is a good representation of moogles in general. Mysterious, cute as fuck, and very helpful in tight situations. If a bit annoying at times, even though it sounds like she's played by Tara Strong, but still helpful.

And the dialogue seems a bit cheap to write, but so was X-2. The direct sequels aren't going to have really good writing, or character development. Speaking of which, Nomura needs to step out of his high chair and let someone else design characters for once. Bring Yoshitaka Amano back, HE WAS AWESOME. At least his art style was, until they used him ONLY to make the title cards.
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

But the thing about X-2, as I have mentioned, it wasn't trying to be a serious Final Fantasy. It was jovial, fan service, and utter fan perversion, there were times that it was trying to dig into a more maudlin and love based story, but the entirety of the game is going off the said humorous theme. I mean come on, look at the gameplay! It's target was for sure a different audience! They can't be serious! I took that for it is and the fact that I am enamored by Rikku makes me biased, but XIII-2 TRIES to be a serious final fantasy. Again, it's trying to be a next up big thing. And I think the dialogue is slightly more whimsical than it is in XIII-2. But truth to be told, I think I can write better dialogues than either of those games.

As for Mog... he is actually a detriment to what Mogs are supposed to be, that's just my opinion from having delved into FFVI and how badass the said character was on that game.

As for character designs, I can' tell the difference. Each Final Fantasy have weird but somewhat enticing designs for their apparel, beast/humanoid form, etc. etc. Art, yes I can distinguish, the other part, not so much.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8