FFliminality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» "Closing Time"
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am by Tainted Dreamz

» What Game(s) Are you Playing?
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm by Nightmare

» The Epic Return Thread
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm by Nightmare

» Borderlands 2
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 pm by Archangel

» FFXIII Versus
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm by Archangel

» Bioshock series
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am by Archangel

» The journey- a short animation
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am by Just_Smile

» The Soundtrack(Both CT and CC)
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am by Archangel

» About Fucking Time
012 Best of the voice actors EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am by Claire

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

012 Best of the voice actors

4 posters

Go down

012 Best of the voice actors Empty 012 Best of the voice actors

Post by RYCloud92 Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:56 am

It may just be me but I think the voice acting has vastly improved over the original, with some reprising actors and actresses upping up the ante.

So in the sense state who you think has improved and which characters voice fits their original personalities the best. (note that if you don't know an actor or actresses name just the character)

For me heres what I say

Laguna, at first I thought he was going to be rubbish but after seeing the cutscenes and watching his report scene with Squall I feel they got his character down to a T. His laid back fun loving personality certainly shines through and makes him the same likeable character I remember from VIII. (example "We have to expand our horizontals")

Kefka, I loved him in the original but in this he just blows the perfomance out of the water. The guy voicing him certainly gets the balance of humourous and menacing down to the right spot (example "I'll show you why dispose rhymes with oppose).

Cloud, he still comes of as a bit of a miserable prick but some of his quotes make him sound like a douche again. He's only here because he's slowly reminding me of the ass Cloud from the game rather then Mr "I can't do anything, I'm useless, angst, angst, angst" from Advent Children and he seems to be at least trying to push more emotions through mainly anger, annoyance and concern but it's a lot less annoying then his old constant moaning. (best example of him being an ass "I felt like it")

Tifa, one of the biggest improvements. I don't know if in Advent Children she was still getting over Aerith along with Cloud but in this game she has been returned to her confident self. Some of her concern and doubt aspects come through but that is still part of her character, but this time it feels like she has been balanced. (example - "I'll squish em")

Gilgamesh, in all honesty and please this is just an opinion but when I first saw heard him I thought he was crap, but after hearing him more and listening to the original Gilgamesh voice from XII I've gotta say I like this guy alot more. Maybe it's because it sounds more like a bumbling fool which fits Gilga's personality and it's the strangest case of where being a bit over the top actually makes him sound great. (example "Steel yourself! For I am not the Gilgamesh you remember")

Honourable mentions of character who still sound the same as they did in the first game but I still like
Golbez, Tidus, Jecht, Chaos, Garland, The Emperor, Sephiroth (he still sounds dry and dull but it fits).
RYCloud92
RYCloud92

http://sonicfanatics.forumsmotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

012 Best of the voice actors Empty Re: 012 Best of the voice actors

Post by Zane the pure Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Well, I gotta say, There were some improvements over the last game for some, and some I disagree with others on.

I personally like just about everything about Vaan so obviously I'm a lunatic.

Laguna sounds great

Gilgamesh is pretty good (needs a bit more edge in his voice... he sounded like Pete once...)

Tifa sounds comforting
I think yuna is better than before, but I never completed 10

Kain exceeded my expectations, I like that he "revised" his tone from the DS version, at first I was wanting Crispin Freeman, but its fine as is. (and Crispin could play Leon from 2 lol)

Prishe sounds nice and jovial

I still like Christopher Sabat, Christopher corey smith, George Newbern, Keith David, Dave Whittenberg, and Grant George (but I wish he'd use more emotion and a slightly higher pitch)

I didn't care for Aaron Spann, Gerald C Rivers, Terra's Va (i forget), and although it was ok, I feel a little let down by Ali hills

the others were decent.

Last edited by Zane the pure on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm

I forgot to do this, TIME FOR MY ELONGATED, BUT SERIOUSLY OPINIONATED VIEW OF TEH VOICE ACTING!!!

WoL: With the change in personality to the character, Grant George did a much better job playing the careless asshole than a warrior devoted to a cause. Sometimes it isn't a voice actor that's doing a bad job, it's simply the actor not being right for that particular character, this being the perfect example. It's the Patrick Seitz syndrome at its fullest.

Garland: I liked the voice in the original, and I still do, nothing much has changed and I still feel like he is the fearless and loyal Garland that I remember from FF1. Have to say that he seems to be too used to playing Vegeta and he screams...a lot.

Firion: Not any different from the last, since he has no lines that I remember from 012. His new battle quotes are fitting, and I still respect Johnny Yong Bosch, even though I get tired of his type-casting career.

Mateus: Still the 'pompous ass in gold' from the first, Christopher Corey Smith was born for this role, I believe. New battle quotes are still awesome as the originals, and once again, I'm amazed by how little I'm familiar with this man and I respect him so much.

Onion Knight: Feels more bland than the original, didn't like his voice, and liked it even less in this version. He changeed his tone for his new quotes and made it higher pitched than necessary.

Cloud of Darkness: Love Laura Bailey in all her roles, and I still love her as CoD, though hearing her Lust voice for long monologues becomes boring and drawn out after too long.

Cecil: Yuri Lowenthal improved a bit by getting rid of the faint English accent, but I still feel the need to mute the game whenever he speaks. This is not the role for him, and he needs to realize that soon.

Golbez: Peter Beckman started his role as Golbez and I was blown away after hearing his melodious, yet enormously intimidating voice as the conflicted mage of darkness and light. I want to hear more from this man, because his voice is not only calming, but it fits Golbez absolutely perfectly.

Kain: At first, I doubted Liam o'Brien largely when I first heard him as Kain, but once I played Prologus, my opinion was changed considerably. I cannot imagine another actor playing my second favorite character from IV. He does, however, keep up his famous sigh after finishing a quote, which can get annoying, but it works for Kain, somehow. 9 of 10, very well done, Mr. o'Brien.

Bartz: I'm somewhat conflicted with his improvement, he definitely has me liking him more with his goofy attitude, yet strong will as Bartz, but he still seems to be trying too hard. I like him more in this version, but I don't love him, if that makes sense.

Exdeath: Still hammy, and probably worse. I think Gerald C. Rivers should have done a different voice, but since the directors wanted similarity to the Japanese voices, he had no choice but to use a tone that was not fit for him in the slightest. Evil laughs are also incredibly laughable, at best. I don't blame the actor for this, so I won't say anything bad about him.

Gilgamesh: I hold the highest respect for John Dimaggio, but the new actor for Gilgamesh is just perfect. He booms his voice when necessary, and keeps up the bumbling attitude when Gilgamesh screws up, and that makes him all the more lovable. Hope to see more of this actor in the future.

Terra: Natalie Lander seems to have the William Shatner syndrome with her pause acting, and that just made her performance terrible. I can't really stand her voice to begin with, seeing as the only thing she seems to have down is the conflicted personality that Terra has acquired in her adventures, which isn't really enough.

Kefka: Dave Wittenburg plays a stereotypical version of insane, which is far from impressive. He can play Kefka's intimidating side perfectly, but when Kefka releases his playful, sadistic side, Wittenburg is just terrible. He really needs to work on the laugh, too, Ho ho ho is not all that hard to induce fear with, and Wittenburg just couldn't do it.

Cloud: I give Steve Burton a lot of crap for playing my least favorite character from VII, but he seems to be born for this role. I can't stand Cloud, yet Burton got his personality down perfectly, even when Cloud's an asshole.

Sephiroth: Still think the directors got the idea wrong for how Sephiroth should sound, but George Newbern got their translation down respectably. I love him as Nooj, and I respect his interpretation as Sephiroth, but he just doesn't seem like a ruthless, insane killer, but moreover a sadistic gentleman. They won't be changing Sephiroth's personality any time soon, so Newbern is pretty much stuck as he is. I don't really have much of an opinion, cause I hate the way he sounds, but I respect him as a voice actor. :/

Tifa: In all honesty, I hate Tida anyway and never gave much attention to her personality cause Square was shoving her boobs in my face and I couldn't concentrate. I forget the name of the actress, but if Tifa is supposed to be sweet and gentle, I think she did alright, not impressive, but alright.

Squall: I cannot even begin to describe how much I hate Squall and Doug Erholtz' interpretation of his character. Erholtz has a constant and extremely annoying whine in all of his lines, and I feel the need to shoot him for further killing an already lifeless character. No respect for Squall or Erholtz and I'll leave it at that.

Ultimecia: I like her interpretation as Ultimecia, yet hearing her monotonic voice over and over gets tiring and overall, boring. I respect Tasia Valenza in her role as Sniper Wolf and Ultimecia, but her voice is just annoying at long intervals.

Laguna: First role, I think, and not a bad job in the slightest. Battle quotes feel somewhat like he didn't try, but hearing him speak as the goofy and lovable Laguna is a pleasure. Well done job for his first act.

Zidane: Worse than the previous, playing Zidane at an even higher pitch like OK. Bryce Papenbrook can't really live up to his father, the late, great Bob Papenbrook's name playing Zidane, I can't be nice about that.

Kuja: Loved JD Cullum in the original, and share the same feelings in Duodecim. He played Kuja's conflicted, yet sadistic personality perfectly. I don't recognize him from anything else, but I hope to hear more of his voice someday.

Tidus: I absolutely adore James Arnold Taylor ever since I first heard him as Tidus. But that's a personal belief, for professionaly, I don't think he does a terrific job. He tends to get a bit over-emotional sometimes, however that is how Tidus' character is portrayed, but it seems a little unprofessional at times.

Jecht: I don't exactly know what happened, but Gregg Berger wasn't as impressive in Duodecim. His tone seems different and he doesn't seem to be trying as hard playing a hero instead of a "villain". Battle quotes are still amazing, however.

Yuna: Not exactly sure how to put this, but Hedy Buress isn't the greatest voice actress ever. When I played X, I loved all the voices, but now that I'm older, I'm seeing almost no effort from her. She gets over-dramatic and unemotional when necessary. :/ I'm ashamed to say that, but it's how I feel.

Vaan: Bobby Edner...should not be in voice acting. He should stick to rapping and regular acting. Never liked Vaan in the first place, but his voice is just boring, overly proud and overall, unimpressive.

Gabranth: After playing XII, I have to say that I'm really sad that they couldn't get the original actor to play Gabranth again, Keith Ferguson plays Gabranth nicely, but not as impressive as the original.

Lightning: Much less impressive than in XIII, not sure what happened here. Dialogue is the same, but I didn't hear the incredibly hammy battle quotes in XIII as I did in Duodecim. HEr Thundaga battle quote is not only unprofessional, but overly hammy and something that cannot be taken seriously. Sorry, Ali Hillis, but you get less respect points.

Chaos: Dumbed down from the original, Keith David isn't as intimidating, nor impressive in Duodecim, not sure what happened. :/

Well, those are my opinions.
Claire
Claire

http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:08 am

I QUOTE YOU BECAUSE YOU GIVE INFO ON EVERYBODY
MAKE THINGS EASIER TO LIST
WE ALSO THINK A LOT ALIKE

nemo wrote:

WoL: With the change in personality to the character, Grant George did a much better job playing the careless asshole than a warrior devoted to a cause. Sometimes it isn't a voice actor that's doing a bad job, it's simply the actor not being right for that particular character, this being the perfect example. It's the Patrick Seitz syndrome at its fullest.

Grant George is too NASALLY. He sounds like he always has a fucking cold! It's irritating. His Grant does a good job as minor "Who Cares" characters in the background and playing side characters. He's not too great at lead roles. I got more of a feel for him in Persona 3 as Shinji and he's sooooo baaaaad at stapled personality characters. Brooding badass, justice seeker, whatever the fuck he voices: too awkward sometimes. Grant did have some good points with putting as a blunt character but he's too nasally to take seriously.

Garland: I liked the voice in the original, and I still do, nothing much has changed and I still feel like he is the fearless and loyal Garland that I remember from FF1. Have to say that he seems to be too used to playing Vegeta and he screams...a lot.

Christopher Sabat did seem to do what I wanted and made Garland sound a little more "distinguished" and "pompus" sounding when speaking outside of battle. He seemed calmer and less like shouting "OVAR 9TOUZAND". His battle cries are hard to listen to though because he goes overboard. I respect Sabat but he's become a Voiceover that's way too recognizable and pulls the same voice for everything but with mild accents.

Firion: Not any different from the last, since he has no lines that I remember from 012. His new battle quotes are fitting, and I still respect Johnny Yong Bosch, even though I get tired of his type-casting career.

Nothing new. Johnny Yong Bosch is a one track pony. If he's not screaming a shit ton of the time then he sounds SUPER AWKWARD. Example: Persona 4 as Adachi and the Protagonist. The protagonist has insane death cries in battle but never speaks outside battle, Adachi has AWKWARD DELIVERY for a lot of his lines. Still don't like him. Sadly, one of the better performances in half the game.

Mateus: Still the 'pompous ass in gold' from the first, Christopher Corey Smith was born for this role, I believe. New battle quotes are still awesome as the originals, and once again, I'm amazed by how little I'm familiar with this man and I respect him so much.

Agreed. After fully playing through the first game, Smith does a very VERY good job. One of the great performances. I actually think he fits the Emperor's personality perfectly. Utter Respect.

Onion Knight: Feels more bland than the original, didn't like his voice, and liked it even less in this version. He changeed his tone for his new quotes and made it higher pitched than necessary.

Also agree. I also feel he sounds like a little girl sometimes. Aaron Spann plays very young characters so they wanted someone who can seem young. He can sound a little young but feminizes his roles when he's usually a man.

Cloud of Darkness: Love Laura Bailey in all her roles, and I still love her as CoD, though hearing her Lust voice for long monologues becomes boring and drawn out after too long.

Laura Bailey is very well ranged and can play cold ruthless then move to insanely sugary. But I too hear Lust in her overly boring monologues. She does okay but not great. Monotone sometimes but that fits CoD's character.

Cecil: Yuri Lowenthal improved a bit by getting rid of the faint English accent, but I still feel the need to mute the game whenever he speaks. This is not the role for him, and he needs to realize that soon.

Everyone should know what I think of Yuri Fucking Lowenthal and that he should avoid microphones. Forever.

Golbez: Peter Beckman started his role as Golbez and I was blown away after hearing his melodious, yet enormously intimidating voice as the conflicted mage of darkness and light. I want to hear more from this man, because his voice is not only calming, but it fits Golbez absolutely perfectly.

Peter Beckman. The right role given in IV. Beckman can be very dark and intimidating because of his booming and terrifying voice. I loved more of his lines in IV when he was evil and how good some of his lines were but he was mainly depressing in the Dissidia games. In battle, does it right. I applaud the man.

Kain: At first, I doubted Liam o'Brien largely when I first heard him as Kain, but once I played Prologus, my opinion was changed considerably. I cannot imagine another actor playing my second favorite character from IV. He does, however, keep up his famous sigh after finishing a quote, which can get annoying, but it works for Kain, somehow. 9 of 10, very well done, Mr. o'Brien.

I'm still sticking to my argument of O'Brien getting the wrong rolls. He can act and he does a good job in a lot of different shows and games and he can really localize scripts into english pretty damn well. As Kain, he did this very annoying deep sigh at the end of every sentence because he's obviously trying too hard. If he doesn't try making his voice so deep, he can get more air and let out less "We have to go-uuuuuugh".

Bartz: I'm somewhat conflicted with his improvement, he definitely has me liking him more with his goofy attitude, yet strong will as Bartz, but he still seems to be trying too hard. I like him more in this version, but I don't love him, if that makes sense.

Fuck Jason Spisak. There were times he got a little better in battle and I like hearing his battle quotes and impersonating the other voiceovers but awkwardly impersonating other awkward voiceovers is a no-no. This is Spisak's best roll. That's not saying much.

Exdeath: Still hammy, and probably worse. I think Gerald C. Rivers should have done a different voice, but since the directors wanted similarity to the Japanese voices, he had no choice but to use a tone that was not fit for him in the slightest. Evil laughs are also incredibly laughable, at best. I don't blame the actor for this, so I won't say anything bad about him.

UGH. Agree.

Gilgamesh: I hold the highest respect for John Dimaggio, but the new actor for Gilgamesh is just perfect. He booms his voice when necessary, and keeps up the bumbling attitude when Gilgamesh screws up, and that makes him all the more lovable. Hope to see more of this actor in the future.

I agree with Zane that there are moments of me wanting MORE BOOMING but what Szarabajka did right that I think he did better than DiMaggio in every way is the BUMBLING AND THE GOOFINESS. I love playing as Gilgamesh because Szarabajka can really pull off Gilgamesh's hammy attitude. The voice of Gilgamesh. If I give him time and he gets louder with talking about his own greatness and improving his laugh (his only downside, it's lifeless), I know Keith will get Gilgamesh down perfectly.

Terra: Natalie Lander seems to have the William Shatner syndrome with her pause acting, and that just made her performance terrible. I can't really stand her voice to begin with, seeing as the only thing she seems to have down is the conflicted personality that Terra has acquired in her adventures, which isn't really enough.

LOL HILARIOUS

Kefka: Dave Wittenburg plays a stereotypical version of insane, which is far from impressive. He can play Kefka's intimidating side perfectly, but when Kefka releases his playful, sadistic side, Wittenburg is just terrible. He really needs to work on the laugh, too, Ho ho ho is not all that hard to induce fear with, and Wittenburg just couldn't do it.

Agree 100%. I've said some bad things about Dave Wittenburg but he's actually a really well diverse and very good voiceover. His wackiness is him trying too hard to be like Mark Hamil's Joker and it falls apart. Awkward laugh is UGH! His evil lines are good, his in battle giggles and angry shouts fit perfectly but his lines in the story are awkward. Given the script is covered in garbage as Gamspot sums as, "I took a risk to believe in a chance," so I believe the bad writing but Dave Wittenburg was able to make bad lines very well done when he's pissed.

Cloud: I give Steve Burton a lot of crap for playing my least favorite character from VII, but he seems to be born for this role. I can't stand Cloud, yet Burton got his personality down perfectly, even when Cloud's an asshole.

Burton is another character who fits the character's voice but the bad writing and awkward personality ruin the performance. Burton does fuck up some battle shouts and whatnot badly and seems to give little effort into some of the game but maybe that's because of the bad script.

Sephiroth: Still think the directors got the idea wrong for how Sephiroth should sound, but George Newbern got their translation down respectably. I love him as Nooj, and I respect his interpretation as Sephiroth, but he just doesn't seem like a ruthless, insane killer, but moreover a sadistic gentleman. They won't be changing Sephiroth's personality any time soon, so Newbern is pretty much stuck as he is. I don't really have much of an opinion, cause I hate the way he sounds, but I respect him as a voice actor. :/

Still don't like his Gentleman voice but given Seph's new personality it works.

Tifa: In all honesty, I hate Tida anyway and never gave much attention to her personality cause Square was shoving her boobs in my face and I couldn't concentrate. I forget the name of the actress, but if Tifa is supposed to be sweet and gentle, I think she did alright, not impressive, but alright.

Rachel Leigh Cook is AWKWARD. Her delivery in battle quotes are AWKWARD. He sounds like she has random pants creaming in the story and in battle. Like when fighting in a party, Tifa says something like "My friends... are here with me," and the delivery is so weird and just seems like she's trying way too hard I'm on ball with Nemo, try to shove Titfa into your face because "SHE DA HAWTNEZ". Cook is a film actress, stick to film. Away from microphones and voiceover. AWAY.

Squall: I cannot even begin to describe how much I hate Squall and Doug Erholtz' interpretation of his character. Erholtz has a constant and extremely annoying whine in all of his lines, and I feel the need to shoot him for further killing an already lifeless character. No respect for Squall or Erholtz and I'll leave it at that.

Erholtz has an awkward accent and the first thing you should learn to do when becoming a voiceover is to learn to hide your accents so you can clearly deliver lines for character, commercials and whatever else. Erholtz sounds like he never got any training in articulating his words because he mumbles a lot. It fits Squall's character but he's going so far as to make himself completely unable to understand without subtitles.

Ultimecia: I like her interpretation as Ultimecia, yet hearing her monotonic voice over and over gets tiring and overall, boring. I respect Tasia Valenza in her role as Sniper Wolf and Ultimecia, but her voice is just annoying at long intervals.

Agreed

Laguna: First role, I think, and not a bad job in the slightest. Battle quotes feel somewhat like he didn't try, but hearing him speak as the goofy and lovable Laguna is a pleasure. Well done job for his first act.

Armando Valdes-Kennedy isn't that well known of an actor and I can see why. Effortless. Laguna sounded so boring and V-K doesn't execute Laguna's goofy personality a lot of the time. In battle he sounds normal and kind of meh. I wanted more playfulness. They got his lines right with his mixing of words and trying to be playful in battle but he couldn't do it right nearly 80% of the time.

Zidane: Worse than the previous, playing Zidane at an even higher pitch like OK. Bryce Papenbrook can't really live up to his father, the late, great Bob Papenbrook's name playing Zidane, I can't be nice about that.

Saw no difference. Sounds the same. Papenbrook sucks. End of story

Kuja: Loved JD Cullum in the original, and share the same feelings in Duodecim. He played Kuja's conflicted, yet sadistic personality perfectly. I don't recognize him from anything else, but I hope to hear more of his voice someday.

Eh, not bad. A little better in some areas but not too much. Kind of hard for me to talk about Kuja's voice.

Tidus: I absolutely adore James Arnold Taylor ever since I first heard him as Tidus. But that's a personal belief, for professionaly, I don't think he does a terrific job. He tends to get a bit over-emotional sometimes, however that is how Tidus' character is portrayed, but it seems a little unprofessional at times.

James Arnold Taylor. Another one track pony and his voice gets fucking annoying but he fits Tidus and he performed well.

Jecht: I don't exactly know what happened, but Gregg Berger wasn't as impressive in Duodecim. His tone seems different and he doesn't seem to be trying as hard playing a hero instead of a "villain". Battle quotes are still amazing, however.

Agreed. Gregg got boring in his few lines for 012 but I can understand because the amount of lines given to old characters were miniscule because they repeated voice tracks from the previous game. So Berger was called for 10 new lines that waste his fucking time. He's probably pissed off because of the lack of lines he needed to say. It probably only took a few hours for his new lines then he never returned to the studio.

Yuna: Not exactly sure how to put this, but Hedy Buress isn't the greatest voice actress ever. When I played X, I loved all the voices, but now that I'm older, I'm seeing almost no effort from her. She gets over-dramatic and unemotional when necessary. :/ I'm ashamed to say that, but it's how I feel.

Hedy Buress at least did a better job in this than X but still, AWFUL. AWFUL. So lifeless and boring and monotone and lame! Don't like listening to her.

Vaan: Bobby Edner...should not be in voice acting. He should stick to rapping and regular acting. Never liked Vaan in the first place, but his voice is just boring, overly proud and overall, unimpressive.

Bobby Edner sounds like a faggot which is what Vaan is but his weird voice cracks and the fact he put no effort into his lines (EVEN FUCKING BATTLE CRIES ARE LAME) makes him the worst voice in the game. Kudos Edner, you officially suck.

Gabranth: After playing XII, I have to say that I'm really sad that they couldn't get the original actor to play Gabranth again, Keith Ferguson plays Gabranth nicely, but not as impressive as the original.

Eh, can't really say anything for him. Keith is a weird voiceover but he's well ranged like Wittenburg.

Lightning: Much less impressive than in XIII, not sure what happened here. Dialogue is the same, but I didn't hear the incredibly hammy battle quotes in XIII as I did in Duodecim. HEr Thundaga battle quote is not only unprofessional, but overly hammy and something that cannot be taken seriously. Sorry, Ali Hillis, but you get less respect points.

FUCK LIGHTNING. Like O'Brien, Ali Hillis is too breathy in her delivery. Also, I don't like how in the cutscenes Lightning acts all brooding and badass but then in the non-voiced lines she acts nice. She's so fucking moody, drink some cranberry juice you bitch! Hillis, like Lightning's personality, has no idea what the fuck she's doing. She's overly dramatic and hammy with attacks like Thundaga then tries being cold, then her getting hit sounds are so unfitting to the character. She's awkward, Lightning is awkward. Fuck this character lol.

Chaos: Dumbed down from the original, Keith David isn't as intimidating, nor impressive in Duodecim, not sure what happened. :/

David only had like 3 new lines, why would he put effort into this game. It wasted his fucking time and only voicing 4 new lines gets you so little money so he probably said, "Fuck the developers."

Long post is loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:58 am

My work is done! Now to drink some tea, join me, Sephiroth? *monocle*
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm

I gotta say I disagree heavily with the good cap'n most of the time, about everything.

But...
aside from a few of them, I say most of those critiques were pretty inside the lines. But I do have a certain question though.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:43 pm

You realize that voice acting demands a lot of focus and a superior amount of talent, the actors in Dissidia lacked a lot of talent, and some of them lacked focus and even motivation. And if you aren't completely dedicated to your CAREER, you're liable to screw up and piss off a lot of people. I still can't understand why most of these people are considered professionals, it's most likely because all employers look for is a degree, not talent.

So what is the question?
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by RYCloud92 Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 am

In all fairness actors can't be fully blamed, on the majority they are the center and source of the problem but if the script isn't good then the dialogue isn't going to be good.

Granted there are those who can turn s*it scripts to gold, and these are obviously the actors to be praised the most but for a good majority working with sh*t isn't easy and the acting world is a cruel place, you have to take what you get cause if you don't you're likely to get nothing.
RYCloud92
RYCloud92

http://sonicfanatics.forumsmotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I do blame the actor sometimes because they must learn to properly articulate, get their levels right and know the proper distance they should be away from a microphone. But the actor isn't the only one to blame because the directors could be at fault a lot of the time too.

The directors are responsible for a lot of the poor delivery because they're probably giving poor feedback to the actors. They're probably not telling them that they need to redo lines, or they don't tell the voiceover to be so close to the mic for just simple lines and to back up a little when screaming so it doesn't clip the audio. The directors seem to be letting this shit go and that makes me want to go on a ballistic rampage across L.A. to go to these studios and act like fucking Godzilla. I can't believe these directors and sound guys willingly let this shit go on and on. They allow for poor quality in their recording, they allow unprofessional people into their booths. It's just like these people don't give a flying fuck about anything that happens as long as they get their paycheck.

I know voiceover has become larger in the past decade and the buisness is becoming very hard to get into. Not to mention there's now schools for them which is what I am doing. I think I've gotten strict in what actors need to do now because I have super strict teachers and directors. Maybe most of these new voiceovers have it easier because a good amount of these guys are from film/television and getting live actors into voiceover is a large accomplishment for directors and it makes a game or show get higher ratings from fans because Johnny Depp is in Spongebob or whatever. But these film actors never get the education on how to properly voice in a studio and it drives me nuts.

Explain more later, off to work.

EDIT:

I feel like I'm like Billy West in learning the art. West doesn't believe that anyone who has not recieved the proper training in voiceover are allowed to be recorded. Mark Hamil, Keith David, Clancy Brown, John Goodman and many others are all live action actors who have properly learned how to work in a recording studio. But people like Steve Burton and JD Cullum who have learned how to act in film and television are given voiceover roles and just do unprofessional things. Steve Burton is an easier target because he stands TOO CLOSE TO THE MICROPHONE. Can anyone else not hear how muffled his lines are? I feel like I'm going mad! It's like Burton glued his lips onto the mic. I think that's what I get mad over the most. Not really what my ears hear as the true voice of characters I've dedicated a lot of play time to but how unprofessional these voiceovers are. I know the acting plays a large issue in 90% of my arguments but I wouldn't be so angry at some of these people if they could record right. Yuri Lowenthal, he can record professionally. I don't like his acting at all but he has good levels, knows when to not full on shout into a microphone and can articulate his words. I'm such a fucking hypocrite but Yuri I respect his knowledege in how to record... he just needs to learn to act. And his screeches are annoying...
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 pm

That would be all fine, but some voiceovers are perhaps devoid of the knowledge that they're not doing a good job, Yuri is over acted on some roles, and despite him being type cast as kid heroes and melodramatic co stars, he does actually have an intresting hook in his voice when he acts properly.

I'd suggest you try hearing Jasper Batt Jr. from no more heroes 2. The voice could have been a better tone, but his acting was completely ballz to the wallz insane in that role. Not to mention its outside his usual range. IF he could put that much effort into other roles Cecil would be okay. I think his pitch and his tone work for the character, the acting requires improvement however.
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down