FFliminality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» "Closing Time"
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am by Tainted Dreamz

» What Game(s) Are you Playing?
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm by Nightmare

» The Epic Return Thread
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm by Nightmare

» Borderlands 2
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 pm by Archangel

» FFXIII Versus
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm by Archangel

» Bioshock series
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am by Archangel

» The journey- a short animation
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am by Just_Smile

» The Soundtrack(Both CT and CC)
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am by Archangel

» About Fucking Time
Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am by Claire

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done

2 posters

Go down

Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done Empty Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done

Post by Claire Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

(I started on this 20 minutes ago, but thanks to Mozilla's inconveniently placed X on tabs, I cut it off about halfway without saving, so some of it will be cut short, namely Vaan, since I had three paragraphs worth of him.)

SPOILERS!

This is all opinion-based, all characters mentioned belong to their respected owners.

Vaan - Bobby Edner
To be kind, Edner is not fit for the voice acting community, at all. His voice for Vaan is nothing less than plain and emotionless. The player would feel inexorably bored when listening to him speak for anything longer than 10 seconds. Edner was not originally a voice actor, but he has appeared on television numerous times and should have a much better voice than this.
Rating: 1/10

Penelo - Catherine Taber
Honestly, I completely ignored Penelo since she's just so desperate for attention. Which I suppose Taber did nicely. Can't give a good review for this one.
Rating: ???

Balthier - Gideon Emery
Personally, I love this voice, since Emery plays a smartass, yet well-kept pirate quite perfectly. Emery's other roles prior to this one have been mostly monotone and grumbly, but he changed it up slightly for Balthier and I absolutely loved it. you wouldn't believe that he was a pirate from how high-class he acts, but that's all part of the character.
Rating: 9/10

Fran - Nicole Fantl
Not a whole lot of experience behind this actress, but she did surprisingly well, for a first time voice actress. The accent felt a little fake sometimes, but since I know about Fantl, we'll just assume it's real. Anyway, the tone Fantl used were astonishingly fitting in most of the scenes, most notably the scene when Fran goes berserk. The scream Fantl gives seems over the top, but she's giving effort into it, unlike a good number of voice actors and actresses. In normal conversation, her accent seems a little tiring for her to use, since she uses a rather slow speech, but what else is to be expected from such an accent? In a nutshell, Fantl did very well for her first try, but if she had more experience, I'm sure she could be better.
Rating: 7/10

Ashe - Kari Wahlgren
A name most people would recognize, except, this wasn't a really outstanding role. Much like Edner, she seems mostly plain and emotionless. She's definitely more outspoken than Edner, but only by so much. Wahlgren has yet to really impress me in any of the projects I've seen her in. She's better than most, but her voice just doesn't really suit anything I've seen her play.

Basch - Keith Ferguson
This is one of those voices that did a great job, but since the character they're playing is so lifeless, you almost forget that they're in the game. Ferguson is well-known for his role as Bloo from Foster's Home of Imaginary Friends on Cartoon Network. So hearing his real voice is an interesting adventure. However, like I said before, Basch is lacking in personality, so no matter how perfect Ferguson hit the nail on the head, I can't bring myself to be blown away by his performance. That's merely my opinion, though.
Rating: 9/10

Vayne - Elijah Alexander
Much like Basch, Vayne is lacking personality for 75% of the game, until right up near the end. In this case, Vayne eventually does start to show his true colors and his voice changes slightly. That being said, Alexander ultimately failed around the final hour of the story, when Vayne goes Super Saiyan and is preaching and screaming for each line. Instead of changing his voice to match the change of tension, Alexander kept Vayne speaking in a calm, aristocratic manner. Not particularly professional in my opinion, but since that's all Vayne should sound like for almost the entire storyline, you can't really blame him for getting used to the certain tones.
Rating: 7/10

Larsa - Johnny McKeown
There is NO history on this young actor. He's done one other project aside from this according to IMDB, and it was a tv show. Which is really impressive that he did this well. He's presumably American, and he feigned the British accent rather well, and his tones were for the most part appropriate for most of the scenes in the game. It's always a pleasure to see decent performances from actors with zero experience.
Rating: 8/10

Gabranth - Michael Rodgers
I hear a lot of people complaining about this voice, and to be honest, I wish he stuck around for Dissidia. I find his tones to be sometimes off, but his voice is nothing short of befitting to the character. Since Gabranth is the only character that I felt to have ANY depth in XII, I paid attention to him every time he was on screen. Rodgers played Gabranth just the way I interpreted his character to be, an emotionless killer who is looking for nothing short of vengeance. Gabranth did have scenes where he showed his human side and Rodgers was nothing short of perfect for one in particular.
Rating: 8/10

Cid - John Rafter Lee
(will finish later)

Last edited by nemo on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Claire
Claire

http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done Empty Re: Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done

Post by Archangel Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:32 pm

The ones that I liked were Balthier for sure, and Penelo/Ashe/Basch were all solid, Vaan and Fran were annoying to me but I did like Fran's character
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done Empty Re: Final Fantasy XII Voice Acting Criticism (Not Done

Post by Claire Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I got more done, but I'm still not finished.
Claire
Claire

http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down